Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here use Python?

Options
  • 07-05-2001 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

How do you find it? reading a book on it in the local shop and it looks nice but just wanted to know was it worth shelling 60 clams on something that may no longer exist or be useful. smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

I use Python a lot, it's become my favourite scripting language (yeah, Perl is very useful but my personal preference...)
    It's not difficult at all to learn, especially if you're already familiar with basic oop concepts.
    £60 quid for the book ? Seems like way too much (even if it is the ORA one :]), check out the tutorial at http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html or better yet, grab the zip: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/doc/2.1/html-2.1.zip
    It includes a module index and library reference, which covers just about all you need :]

Python should be around for a while yet ;] the default module library covers a lot, from POP3 classes to threads, CGI stuff and other handy gems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Snaggle

Python has been around for years but is only really taking off now. At this point I'd say it's the 3rd most used scripting language around, after shell scripts and PERL, it's certainly the fastest growing one. Personally I prefer it to PERL because it's more consistent and easier to read. For large scripting projects I don't think PERL could really compete but I know several people who'd disagree

Disclaimer: I am neither a Python advocate lover nor a Python user so don't bother me with crappy PERL vs. Python flames

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'm coding with it more and more for handy scripts.

Advertisement