Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samurai Swords and Daggers

• 06-04-2005 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Does anybody know anywhere in town you can buy samurai swords and ornamental daggers.

I have a couple at home (decorative purposes only).

I've mostly gotten these from abroad (being on holidays, ordering online, or as presents) but the customs charge is too expensive to keep importing.

So if anyone knows anywhere in town that sells them it would be great if you could let me know.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There's a place in George's Arcade that sell 'em. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

t'nsi ereht ecalp raen lepac teerts noitseuq kram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

There's a martial arts shop at the end of mary st. and there's some shop in stephen's green shopping centre near all those resteraunts upstairs over the main door(sorry for the horrible directions) tha that a few swords i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭vgar

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres a shop on the row that the oylimpia is on. It's a name plate type whop (place where they sell family crests and the like) but they dothat type of stuff aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

There's a place right round the corner from IT Direct on Capel street selling 3 swords for E95! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

"visuals" just off abbey st. is selling them. they look brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Vgar,

I been in a couple of these shops and they are just ornaments with cheap components, not that I think you should be going around making full use of them ! ;) I was given one a couple of years ago, left it in my wardrode for a few months came back and its rusted togther ! vry annoying.

IF you are going to buy ornamental daggers I would recommend
    a guy called Gil Hibben you can google him, he makes high quality stuff
    alot of fantasy stuff but its all top quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭leef23

i also collect Samurai Swords and Daggers i've bought a few when aboard a few in town and a load of ebay. and i've got a load of the one ebay shop all there stuff is quality and at very reasonable prices plus they deliver in 48hours and i've never paid any customs charge.

you can buy a load of swords to a max weight of 25kg and the postage is only £16

here's the name of the shop:- Clarendon Imports SWORDS KNIVES UK

and a link:- http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Clarendon-Imports-SWORDS-KNIVES-UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

A guy i work with orders them online from bladesuk(or something like that- google it).
    im not really into it myself but he ordered a set of 3 ornamental (i.e. same as the real thing only with a blunt "blade".) samaurai swords
    i was impressed to say the least they came with a stand & cost about 100 euro & i dont think there was any customs charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

There's a tattoo parlor on the top floor of the stephen's green centre that has a selection of swords, daggers and other weapons (spears etc). However to be honest I don't think there's anywhere in Ireland I'd buy from.

I have a nice collection of swords and knives, and the quality of the stuff available in this country really isn't good. Your best bet is to continue purchasing while on holiday (like me) and maybe over the internet from some of the better sites (because i've been burned with poor quality crap over the net too).

I could just be too fussy though. It's not like I'm ever gonna use my armoury to kill anyone or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Branoic: That's celestial ring. The quality there doesn't look too good, and some of the swords are badly named.

www.weaponmasters.com is good if your buying online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

They sell katanas in Banana Tree in St. Stephen's Green Shopping Centre.

I wanted to get a samurai sword a while ago but my parents wouldn;t let me. AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anywho, I spent ages trying to get some information on the laws as technichally they are weapons. I made the argument that they are after than knives because knives are easier to maniuplate.

So does anybody have any information on the laws regarding ownership of these fine pieces of art?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Basically its legal as long as they dont leave your house and in general aren't used for anything more than sitting in the corner / on a wall looking pretty.

My most recent experience with getting this kinda thing in to the country was a couple of months ago when i came back from a year in australia. While there i bought the pride of my collection, a replica (ie, not ornamental, but actually made in the proper way) Pappenheimer rapier (17th century Germany) similiar to the one here http://www.thesteelsource.com/html/1025gt.htm

I didn't want to risk any hassle actually carrying it home through 4 seperate airports myself (plus it would have put my luggage allowance over the limit) so i shipped it home on its own by air freight. The box and customs forms pretty much had "sword" plastered all over them, but there wasn't any problems along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Most of the wall hangers here are "Sword Shaped Objects", not good steel,not tempered and a rat tail tang which will snap if you ever get the urge to swing your sword like Conan!
    Gil Hibben or Kit Rae make fantasy swords and knives which are actually steel and made properly.
    For a user sword I'd look at Albion Armories,Odinblades,Cold Steel or Paul Chen especiallyfor his Practical Plus Katanas.
    They don't cost much more and can actually be used for Historical Re-Enactment (usually heavier and blunt) or test cutting ("live" blades).
    Decide what you want em for and what style you are into,Rapier,Katana,Buckler,Hand and a Half Bastard Sword,Scottish Backsword whatever. Get some training in handling long pointy sharps as it is entirely possible to do yourself a serious mischief with these if you are not VERY careful.
    If it is just for looking at then the cheapies on E-Bay may be what you are after.
    Have a look at Blades UK

Battle Orders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭vgar

Cheers everyone for all your replies. Yeah I want good quality products - just not pushed on paying the customs charges anymore!

Gil Hibben and Kit Rae are excellent makers and I've just order the "Eye of Drakonus" from blade-uk.com! At least there is no customs charges. I've been after that dagger for a while now.

Glad to see other people get these things aswell. From talking to my mates I was feeling a bit weird about collecting these things - they all think I'm mad! And yet they all still admire the pieces when they see them! :-)

Cheers again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dove112

Hi guys, if was to make a recommendation, it would be a paul chen practical katana. You could matchstick any of these replicas with it, get a bit pricey for real ray-skin ect, but they are real katanas, REAL. :D
    check em out at
    www.blades-uk.com

Advertisement