Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

java applet to illustrate proof by induction

Options
  • 08-04-2001 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

/me is making a brave venture from the cs boards :)

im in 1st year tcd comp sci and we all have to make an applet to illustrate, teach. and if possible solve, questions from the maths higher level leaving cert.

sounds easy enough, if only i had been aloccated the line intersection question, not proof by induction.

has anyone any ideas of how u can make something visual out of proof by induction?

here is an example question:

prove by induction that 8 is a factor of 3^(2n)-1 for n('element sign')N

another:

prove by induction that:

[Sum from r=1 -> r=n]r^2 = (n/6)(n+1)(2n+1)

we are asked to make our applet nice and graphical, and if possible solve user inputed questions.

- Dead Bank Clerk -
    [clergy]Altar Boy
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll
    be warm for a day. Set a man on
    fire, and he'll be warm for the
    rest of his life."

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

hmmm there's nothing much visual you can do with proof by induction. i guess just some TextFields for user input and big Textarea for the output. Short of writing a fairly complex mathematical parser I can't see how you would prove user-inputted equations. If you do I'd be very interested in seeing the code wink.gif

PS There are some on this board (myself included) who take exception to people posting their homework and asking us to do it. Try to make your questions more specific next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

if u dont want to do my homework don't. seem simply enough to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

bet you didn't know colm o'd reads boardz :P

haha.

Seriously, this isn't a board to get your homework done.

If you're a lazy fsck wit then use a decent search engine like google to get your homework done on the net for you.

Otherwise, rephrase the question and you might get some answers here. Although, after your reply to jazzer I doubt it.

muppet.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spod:
    Seriously, this isn't a board to get your homework done.

muppet.
    </font>

now, i may be a muppet but i seem to remember my post saying this:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">has anyone any ideas of how u can make something visual out of proof by induction?</font>

that is the only question i asked.
    is that doing my homework for me?
    (/me would flame the moderator here but i dont want my post deleted on this o-so-friendly board.

now, if anyone out there is capable of being polite, i did indeed search google and yahoo, but the only inspiration i could come up with is the old "text and tests" example of falling dominos, so the graphical extent of my applet will be one falling dominos, more falling dominos, & dominos knocking each other over. (with lots of strings for explaining how to do proof by induction, and past questions done out (and maybe a capital sigma image))

i am still open to suggestion, and would appreciate any feedback (except rudeness from moderators) and my "rephrased" question is not rephrased, as it does not need to be:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">has anyone any ideas of how u can make something visual out of proof by induction?</font>

[This message has been edited by DeadBankClerk (edited 09-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Techno Lobo

God ye really are muppets DBC was asking a question not looking for a complete solution the least ye could do is help where ye can its not like the most of all programmers self in cluded coged off a fello class mate at least once or gave some info to them to the smart thing do the right thing tell him what he wants or ill be force to trake ye down and kill ya.

DBC try http://www.topgold.com if you cant find it post it there someone is bound to give a lending hand cya in planet lan.

The only dependable thing is uncertainty....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I think Spod was replying to:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">if u dont want to do my homework don't</font>
    I think DeadBankClerk was joking at that point, and Spod took it seriously.

I think we have a miscommunication rather than unfair rudeness (though these boards have never been known for politeness, the cs boards aren't a tea-party either)

I think you shouldn't try to make it work with User-inputted questions for this one (got lots of gifs of dominoes ready?)

yay!we're all happy again smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

this spacebar sucks frown.gif

i kiss you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Maybe if you get it working DBC, you could sell it to leaving cert. students who could use it to do their homework icon16.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

heheh sounds like the lecturer already has that in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Heh I'd be surprised if Colm Ó Dúnlaing read these boards. God it's been five years since I sat through one of his lectures smile.gif

• Advertisement

am i have 4 more years of him :(

- Dead Bank Clerk -
    [clergy]Altar Boy
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll
    be warm for a day. Set a man on
    fire, and he'll be warm for the
    rest of his life."

thanks talliesin, you hit the head on the nail.

I was replying to the "if you don't wanna do my homework bit".

Must remember to make posts clearer.

Sorry all.

As for illustrating it graphically:

A different analogy to the dominoes one is the one my old lc maths teacher used..

Monkeys climbing ladders smile.gif Infinite ladders.

If the monkey knows how to reach the 1st step and the monkey knows how to reach the N+1th step then it can climb all the way up the ladder.

[This message has been edited by spod (edited 10-04-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Regi:
    Heh I'd be surprised if Colm Ó Dúnlaing read these boards. God it's been five years since I sat through one of his lectures smile.gif</font>

Ok, so he doesn't read boards, but he genuinely is quite good at judo seemingly..

Advertisement