Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wind noise in cooker hood and chimney

Options
  • 06-04-2005 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

we live at a windy location and we have problems with a noisy chimny ( wind noise ) --- but worse still i recently installed a cooker hood and have put in the system that all the diy shops reccomend - ie. it is finished with a plate on the wall which has flaps which are only meant to open when the unit is expelling air - however the problem is that they also open sometimes if the wind catches them the right way and you hear this opening and closing which can be a couple of times a minute if it's windy --- also the noise of the wind outside is coming through even if the flaps are closed
    also to be honest the site is really windy and there is a pretty high wind noise everywhere anyway

has anyone had any success in combatting any of these problems

:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

You can get external hoods for cooker and dryer vents to protect from wind. Normally just plastic or light metal affairs, surrounded on all sides, apart from underneath.

For your chimney a H cowel or one of the many flue stabilisers should sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Move? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Should've gone to De Dietrich! The flaps on my hood are internal, sitting on top of the motor at one end of the flexible tube, the external part being a rigid metal grille. No wind noise at all from it. I do have the same problem as you with the chimney, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

You can get external hoods for cooker and dryer vents to protect from wind. Normally just plastic or light metal affairs, surrounded on all sides, apart from underneath.
    i'll try that next - but i have a suspiscion that the wind is blowing up a bit which might still open the flap because ive seen those types and there is actually a flap on there aswell but it's a lot bigger so i might be able to weigh it down a bit so it doesnt open as easily
    For your chimney a H cowel or one of the many flue stabilisers should sort you out.
    i was in a hardware shop yesterday and there was a think that spins on top of the chimney when the wind blows - it's for preventing downdrafts ( which is not specifically my problem - in fact i havent lit a fire in it yet so i dont know ) --- but i wonder has anyone tried something like this to reduce wind noise ---
    is the H-cowel specifically for reducing wind noise ???
    ps i already have a chimney closer ( which i installed for the purpose of closing the chimney to save energy when not in use ) and closing it doesnt help - although im sure it's great at what it's designed for though !!

Move?
    i knew someone would mention that !!! :rolleyes:

Should've gone to De Dietrich!
    that's what i've got - unfortunatly - so where do i go from here - :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saibhne

Hi there,
    I have a related question - I live in a windy area as well and when the wind blows the soffit outside seems to vibrate and sends out a very annoying whine. I know I need to secure the soffit somehow but it seems to be already secured quite well.
    Before I get stuck in with hammer and nails does anyone have any ideas? I am also considering painting the offending piece with many coats in an attempt to shut off whatever the wind is vibrating against...

Cheers,

Simon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

just a thought simon but would a load of silicone ( or something similar rated for outside use ) - around the edges of anything that could vibrate be an idea -- ps am not an expert - so dont think it's expert advice or anything :cool:

Advertisement