Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we having fun yet?

Options
  • 06-04-2005 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I've been reading a few posts around here, particularly the ones about tourneys and particular hands.

My question is, do you guys still have fun playing poker, or is it no longer a game, and just a means to make money, like work or selling your kidneys. I was online last night (play money) and was totally lambasted for calling an all-in (about 700) when I was 1 card from the flush. Luckily that card came on the river, but I might aswell have pissed on everyone's chips, the reactions I got. I can't imagine what would have happened had I tried it on a real money table (although, I don't think I would have done).

I moved tables soon after. These people are not having fun playing poker. And they're not even playing with their own money, for chrissakes!

Between pot odds, "the book", trying to read tells, and trying to deal with the muppet who keeps going all in on K3o, where is the fun anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

As a pro once said "I play for the pain"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Playing live i love and consider great fun, but ultimately I am playing the game for a reason $$

Online play is work, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

oh, and just in case my original point is lost in a sea of "what the hell did you call for?" posts, I figured my opponent was trying to buy the pot by going all-in. He was, he had king high, so I would still have won if I hadn't got the flush. I was playing the odds quite nicely, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,826 ✭✭✭✭cormie

:rolleyes:
    Samba wrote:
    Playing live i love and consider great fun, but ultimately I am playing the game for a reason $$

Online play is work, plain and simple.

Samba, did I see you driving a car the other day with a high-vise jacket on in Dublin? Paddypower have their employees wearing these now? Surely not? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

corblimey wrote:
    My question is, do you guys still have fun playing poker, or is it no longer a game, and just a means to make money, like work or selling your kidneys.
    :)

For me poker is one of the few areas in life where having fun and doing the right thing actually coincide. I don't have any fun playing poker if I'm playing badly.
    I was online last night (play money) and was totally lambasted for calling an all-in (about 700) when I was 1 card from the flush. Luckily that card came on the river, but I might aswell have pissed on everyone's chips, the reactions I got. I can't imagine what would have happened had I tried it on a real money table (although, I don't think I would have done).
    I dunno what these people's problem was. It's play money for fúck sake. If made that sort of call on a real money table on a regular basis you'd go broke. I'd find that more of a worry than people calling me names. :)
    Between pot odds, "the book", trying to read tells, and trying to deal with the muppet who keeps going all in on K3o, where is the fun anymore?
    It becomes a battle of wits, which is enourmously satisfying. If you win. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I *love* playing in live poker tournaments. I usually enjoy playing online. I am simply not good enough or dedicated enough to build a second income by playing online. For me personally, there are easier ways of making what little money I need, such as just doing my job and prudent investing. If I ever start to dislike playing poker or lose the excitement I feel playing, I will call it a day without hesitation, as I am sure most would. At the same time, as it is something I truly enjoy, I have been putting in the effort to continually improve my game and poker knowledge - this is something you would expect from anyone who loves their hobby!

Fortunately, this is a hobby that has fattened my wallet since starting :) Trainspotting and airplane modelling can only be an economic drain!

lol Cormie, yes you did!

I left my jacket at the Irish open and so wore that one to work until my jacket was returned to me :o)

I say online play is work, but it is enjoyable work and pays more than the day job

2000th post approaching

this should speed things up a bit

Haha, that's crazy, I drove past you in your little crappy car, in my even crappier car:P yep.. 2000th post approaching too, sad or what? haha.

• Advertisement

heh, didn't spot ya, this country is crazy.... crappy little car alright but.... have had it a year now without a single hitch.

Cost of Insurance, 1.3k, Tax. 360, Petrol funk knows.

Cost of car..... 250 Euro. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

I've been playing poker semi seriously for about a year now. I still absolutely love it. I do find online poker a bit of a grind, and i play live cash games mainly for the dough, but I really enjoy playing tournaments. I think live tournaments are where the social aspect of the game shows itself.

I think that there are very few people who play a lot of poker that don't still enjoy the game to some extent. To be honest you'd have to love it to put up with the occasional (and sometimes consistent) heartbreak.

Samba wrote:
    heh, didn't spot ya, this country is crazy.... crappy little car alright but.... have had it a year now without a single hitch.

Cost of Insurance, 1.3k, Tax. 360, Petrol funk knows.

Cost of car..... 250 Euro. :)

hmmm, my car cost me 3K!! I've been driving a year and have had to pay about 500 so far on servicing repairs etc. Petrol? Well I've driven it nearly 20K :eek:

on topic: yes, i loooove poker, there is nothing better than calling someones bluff or making the perfect bluff, I just love it!!! Winning money is also a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Poker is a very boring game, its just those hands that come along every couple of hours/weeks whatever, and the odd time when you get involved in a really good game of poker, everyone at the table knows what theyre doing and theres a good blind structure like the first half of the end of month tourny or table 3 in the boards shootout that had the best lineup Ive played in for good poker/atmosphere. But for the most part poker is extremely boring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

bohsman wrote:
    table 3 in the boards shootout that had the best lineup Ive played in for good poker/atmosphere.

was brilliant.

Lineup:

BrendanB
    Hector
    Hyzepher
    Me
    JP
    Karlh
    A weak player
    ?
    ?

No prizes for guessing who was first out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Speaking of good games, it's been too long since the BSOP finished. Any chance of resurrecting this great event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I second that motion but would recommend some minor structure adjustments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

bohsman wrote:
    Lineup:

BrendanB
    Hector
    Hyzepher
    Me
    JP
    Karlh
    A weak player
    ?
    ?

No prizes for guessing who was first out.

I was one of the first out after unsuccessfully bluffing JP

As I say no prize. Playing a small stack overaggresively :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement