Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imitation granite worktops

Options
  • 06-04-2005 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever come across imitation granite worktops that had a 45 degree angle instead of a curve along the visible edge.

Friends of ours have this for 4 years now and it both looks great and has worn very well. Uncle of hers got it for them and it ain't easy contact him so I'm trying this approach to sourcing them.

It appears to be a plastic to the touch.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think it is Polyrey worktops?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

sas wrote:

It appears to be a plastic to the touch.

Could also be solid surface material, like corian. This is expensive material, and needs a liscenced fabricator to manufacture, in accordance with suppliers specs.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

kadman,

Should have clarified, it appears to be a plastic coated chip board. Just a slant on formica I'm guessing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

sas wrote:
    kadman,

Should have clarified, it appears to be a plastic coated chip board. Just a slant on formica I'm guessing.

Ok Sas,
    What you have there is a special postformed worktop, covered in formica or similar laminate.

The standard worktop, as you probably know, is a bullnosed edge. Different edge profiles are now commonplace. You should be able to find it in a good builders provider. Failing this, you need to find a company that produces its own post formed worktops to order. There are a good few around, so you shouldn,t find it hard to find one. I know one in Mullingar, and Dublin.

If you have trouble, contact Formica in Dublin. Good post formed laminators are Formica approved, and they will be able to give you a list of their approved fabricators.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi sas,

Noyeks stock a huge variety of worktops and panels, they are also one of the main importers of these tpe of products and fittings.

Take care when pricing them, anything off standard for edge finishing details can be four or five times the price of standard edging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭jack24

Hi Sas,

There is a product called Getastone (pictured, badly, in this link - http://www.arenakitchens.com/virtualgruco1b.htm) that might be what you're looking for. Its a chipboard based laminate, but looks like a granite imitation. They do it in the Panelling centre, if theres one local to you, prices are quite steep but cheaper than granite. Hope this helps,

Jack

Advertisement