Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Algebraist - Iain M. Banks

Options
  • 06-04-2005 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭

Just finished - quite enjoyable, and nice diversion from the Culture novels. Excellent blending of ~hard sci-fi and space opera. Recommended to any sf fans.

I got the impression at the end that he was leaving room for a sequel. Anyone else think that?

Info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Trojan wrote:
    I got the impression at the end that he was leaving room for a sequel. Anyone else think that?

I finished it about 2 - 3 weeks ago and i was dissappointed by the ending. I think he wrapped up the story
    by showing that the Dweller list was only a wild goose chase. Its hard to see where a story for a sequel could be found with whats left.

Overall i liked the book, its just the ending let me down a bit. I loved the
    descriptions of how the archmandrite tortured his enemys, like the Rebel leader who he had beheaded and hung upside down from the ceiling so he could use the poor guys face as a punching bag...... excellent

Can you recommend anymore Iain Banks sci fi books as this is his only fiction one ive read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Use of weapons, player of games and against a dark background.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Yes, I did feel a little that he wrapped it at the end, but I wasn't disappointed with the bit that you were.

Where to go with a sequel?
    Story about what happens with the Beyonders, Dwellers, Mercatoria afterward. Lots to work with there.

What does Taak do now? Can he go back to Seeing? Elsewhere? What about Jaal (sp?)?

As you mentioned, the Archmandrite is fascinating. He got away - could he star in another?

I think there's plenty of room for a sequel - although maybe I'm using the term too loosely - he's created an interesting new universe to play with :)

some reviews

His other sf that comes to mind:

The Player of Games,
    Consider Phlebas,
    Against a Dark Background,
    Excession,
    Use of Weapons.

All highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Yep, i picked up Consider Phlebas over the weekend. From the little ive read i can tell ill enjoy it.

Advertisement