Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books

Options
  • 14-03-2001 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭

Wondering what kind of general/methodology books (i.e. non-lang specific) people are reading?

I'm reading "The Pragmatic Programmer" which is pretty good, half-way through at the moment, have Beck's "Extreme Programming Explained" to have a look at next. Saw another called "Writing Solid Code" which sounds handy enough... smile.gif

I'm very impressed with Pragmatic so far, it's full of a lot of relevant info, definately recommended.

Check out ABE.com for 2nd hand online books, I've used them, very good.

Al.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd advised
    Code Complete - Steve McConnell, coding effeciency
    Programming Pearls - Bently, algorithm design.
    Reading also Pragmatic Programmer, it does have good points but seems a bit simplistic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Some good stuff in what I've read of "the pragmatic programmer", but I did find it a bit preachy in places, so I haven't actually read it all. It reads like a self-help book in a lot of places smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

"The Practice of Programming" is a very good book.
    http://tpop.awl.com/

The chapters on algorithms and performance are especially good.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Programming Perls is quiet good methinks.

Advertisement