Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IIS 4.0 and forms??

Options
  • 13-03-2001 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

For an internal web-site, a form is being sent using the configuration settings of the email client. some people though, don't have a client on the machine they're working on, so the form won't work from their machine.
    Using Windows NT with Microsoft IIS 4, is there any server side solution for sending the form automatically when pressing submit?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

No fix for this afaik - you're gonna have to write a proper form that handles the mail server side. I don't know much about IIS (but I'm learning), so I can't help much more - Bard might have some experience in this area - he's done more "IIS Friendly" stuff than me.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Well I aint no webbie person but here you go
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    set objEMail = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
    objEMail.To = the addie your sending it to
    objEMail.From = the addie your sending it from

objEMail.subject = Your subject
    objEMail.body = the body of the message
    objEMail.send
    set objEMail = nothing
    </font>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Clamor

I might be totally wrong with this approach but it's another option if you want. You may be able to use a CGI mailform script. I've used one recently (supplied by my hosting service ) that takes the form you supply it and mail's it off somewhere. I think you can download other CGI scripts and place them locally on your own webserver if you want.
    Hope it help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Sounds like you're using a "mailto" as the action on your form. Apparently, according to the wags on the usenet newsgroup comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html - this is a very bad thing and should never be done (not that you should *always* take their word as gospel, but there are some very clever and very helpful people on there too).

Whenever I'm writing a mail form on a web site these days I use the ASPEmail component from Persits. It involves installing/registering a DLL file on your server, which some hosts are reluctant to do.
    _____
    Bard

"Wait! If we continue like this, you'll turn into an alsation again!" - Edmund Blackadder

• Advertisement
Advertisement