Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what exercises should i do to get a flater stomach

Options
  • 05-04-2005 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭

first of all i'm a fella, i'm not fat or big, but my stomach isnt very muscly, i'm kinda aiming towards a six pack, so what exercises should i be doing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Well, theres two possiblities..

Are you like relatively slim all over, but just have a big of a beer belly, and you want to lose it?

See, you have to lose whatever fat there is there before toning it. you get me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

i dont have a bear belly, and i'm not skinny all over, most of me is muscle exept for my stomach

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

you may have to do some running to loose as much as possible then i found an ab-roller the 'easiest' or quickest way, also sit ups on an incline, or if you have a strong back leg-drops (lie on your back and lift both your feet up [not too high] and drop them until they're about 6inches above the ground and hold for 3-5seconds and repeat!!)

the most important thing is to find routine and stick to it for a couple of weeks, stomach's take time!

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Ab-crunches are nice and all, but really they don't address your real problem,

ie, you don't get enough exercise!

Your abs are your primary posture and flexing muscles, so basically if you take up a bit of jogging and swimming regularly, not only will you get those abs, but you'll feel great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

Ya, dearg doom got it spot on, theres an enormous amount of interest (and column inches) in the male fitness magazines about exercises to get the ripped, or getting a good stomach, thousands of variations on crunches and the like. The belly tends to be a trouble area for people because everyone has fat and one of the body's chief storing places for fat is on the belly. So although you might have the finest set of abs on the planet, just a few ounces of fat will cover it all up! So as dearg doom rightly said, its not so much targetting that area that'll help but general fat burning exercises. Running, swimming, cycling, climbing, or whatever.

These use the major muscle groups of the body so will burn more fat. Incrementally, it will make you fitter which will cause your body to become more efficient at burning fat. Finally, as you inevitably develop more muscle mass, this causes your body to use up more calories even when you are sedate! Exercise is a sorta win-win-win situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

crunches sit ups

try yoga works a treat that or pilates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

apparently the best, most effective crunch you can do is the 'cycle' or something to that effect, which is where you lie on your back, pedal your legs in the air and at the same time, sit up and turn your body to the left, pointing your right elbow between your knees. then stop and repeat to the other side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Ask at the Fitness board.

But I can tell you here what they will there.

(a) you need to lower your bodyfat right down for abs.
    (b) you cannot spot reduce fat.
    (c) the best way to lower bodyfat it a combination of cardio ((220BPM - you age) X 0.8) and weights.
    (d) large muscles are formed though low repetitions of heavy weights. Toned ones through high rep of less weight.
    (e) most of the guys on the fitness board take protein supplements (shakes etc) in order to build muscle (can also do it through eating high protein foods but then you have to consider the amount of fat in the food).

Advertisement