Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naked Video - rte 2

Options
  • 04-04-2005 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

Saw if for the first time tonight - quiet funny - The Irish version of 'trigger happy tv'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

Watched about 5 mins of it and thought it was god awful, typical RTE inability to create anything remotely funny (podge and rodge / blizard excluded - because they are relativly original), since they try to copy other formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The name isn't even original.

Wasn't there a comedy sketch show on the bbc in the early 90's called Naked Video... I have the theme tune stuck in my head now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I thought it had its moments. The dodgy guy in the wooly jumper asking about the car I thought was pretty funny. That idiot in the jacket who whistled all the time was not though.... Yeah it was completely unoriginal, they even stole the park keeper from Trigger happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

I thought it was called "Naked Camera" and it does kinda remind me of Trigger Happy Tv but no where near as funny. Good if you like Irish people being slaged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

missed it last night, anyone aware of it being repeated during the week?

ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Could be repeated on Sunday, i'll have to get confirmation on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

it made me laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

The name isn't even original.

Wasn't there a comedy sketch show on the bbc in the early 90's called Naked Video... I have the theme tune stuck in my head now....

thats right mate
    and what a show it was!!!!
    the baldy man.........my fav. gregor fischer aka RAB C NESBITT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I saw bits and pieces of it. Found it a bit irritating tbh.. I did however find the traffic warden woman kind of amusing..

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I found it very funny, it was what it was, hidden cameras, involving ordinary joe soaps.

And at the end, it had short clips of the "victims" having a laugh after they were informed of the joke, thus not ridiculing them but instead involving them. Nice touch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

watched it. wasnt so bad but i can imagine it becoming tediously repetitive though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

They could at least have gotten good improv actors. And interesting characters. And some better ideas for the skits. Actually, maybe they should have just forgotten about it. Yeah, thats it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

i thought it was brilliant especially the estate agent bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I give it a 'meh'. Could be better but could be worse. The hidden camera thing was not original for Trigger happy tv either, but somehow it managed to be differant. (BTW Trigger happy theme kicks ass).

I agree that Naked Video will probably get repetitive pretty soon. But I'll give it another go and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

dom joly last series in the usa "world shut your mouth".
    cant be beaten :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

the traffic warden girl was brilliant, hope she's on again, i was cracked up watching her....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Enii wrote:
    the traffic warden girl was brilliant, hope she's on again, i was cracked up watching her....

Her name's Maeve Higgins and she does a spot on the Ray D'Arcy show on Tuesday mornings between 10 and 11 and she's absolutley hilarious.

I thought the show was quite funny actually. Fair enough that it wasn't original but as seen as the original concept of a hidden camera show started in the 50's in the US as the Candid Camera show, every show that has been made since is just a variation on the theme. Sure RTE had the Mike Murphy show during the 70's which is way before the likes of Trigger Happy so making comparisons is a bit unfair.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

yeah, maeve higgins was brilliant!! and its called "naked camera"
    why do people always have to slag off our own irish stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

gubby wrote:
    yeah, maeve higgins was brilliant!! and its called "naked camera"
    why do people always have to slag off our own irish stuff.

When its the Big Bow Wow or The Cassidys, then the slagging is deserved, but not in this case. It was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

BaZmO* wrote:
    Her name's Maeve Higgins and she does a spot on the Ray D'Arcy show on Tuesday mornings between 10 and 11 and she's absolutley hilarious.
    B.

Ah I knew I recognised her voice from somewhere.

Overall I thought the show had the odd good laugh but needs to pick up a bit if it'll find an audience. Problem is that it's too similar to loads of stuff that's been done before. I did like the car salesman saying "You could fit a body in there" though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It was so blatant a rip-off of Trigger Happy TV, and so shockingly awful that I thought it was some sort of piss-take of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It was so blatant a rip-off of Trigger Happy TV, and so shockingly awful that I thought it was some sort of piss-take of it.

And Trigger Happy TV is a blatant rip-off of every other Candid Camera show that came before it!

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

BaZmO* wrote:
    And Trigger Happy TV is a blatant rip-off of every other Candid Camera show that came before it!

B.

I was referring to more explicit references like the traffic warden and the park warden. It was the painfully unfunny "oh no, you can't throw that bread to the ducks!" scene in particular that made me wonder if it was some kind of parody.

But even that aside, THTV was an unusual hidden camera show in that it bordered on being a traditional sketch show, with re-occuring characters and catch-phrases taking central stage, rather than the victims. In that way, there is quite a bit of similarity between the two.

Naked Camera also came across as being very tame, like a bunch of youths doing all these crazy and whacky pranks while also being mindful not to get in trouble. The park warden scene wasn't very funny because it was so incredibly tame - he may as well have gone up and told them their shoelace was open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

Are you trying to tell me that you don't find the idea of a traffic warden hitting on the people she's ticketing even faintly amusing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

the whistle fella (who couldnt even whistle properly) and the traffic warden were fairly useless.

i have to say though that the 'scumbag' with the cash was priceless,

[scumbag]> "i want to bui a carr"
    [salesman]>"have you got a particular type in mind"
    [scumbag]>"yea-er, a big wan.one da go-is 200 mile an ower"

and...
    [scumbag]>"i've goth da rest of da cash in finglas, we just av ta to go pick ir-rup"

Advertisement