Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircoach airport to Belfast speeding????

Options
  • 04-04-2005 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭

someone posted in the bargains alert about aircoach fare from airport to belfast
    and how quick aircoach is which led me to look at their timetable and discover that if aircoach are to keep to their timetable then the driver must be breaking the law

http://www.aircoach.ie/table.routes.belfast.php

the speed limit for a coach in the 26 counties is 80kph no matter what road it is driven on that is the maximum speed

dublin airport to dundalk is 75 km according to aa route planner
    aircoach say they do that in 50 minutes one way and
    the most distance you can cover non stop at 80 kph in 50 minutes is 67 km that does not include stopping in Drogheda there is no way the journy can be done in 50 minutes legally

the arrival time for drogheda is 25 minutes which is 40km from the airport at 80 kph you obviously can not drive 40kms in 25 minutes 33 would be the max

do they use the motorway or the old road

the northern section is a bit more complicated as the speed limits for coaches vary in the north

so are aircoach encouraging their drivers to break the speed limit or are their timetables fiction

does anyone know does the bus get to dundalk in 50 minutes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

work of fiction i'd say. It takes me the guts of 50 minutes to go from the airport to dundalk in my laguna never mind in a coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Write to them and see what they say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Why was the speed limit for coaches set at 80kph on all roads when coaches in the UK can drive at 113kph on motorways?

Would you feel unsafe on an aircoach doing 100kph up the M1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Why was the speed limit for coaches set at 80kph on all roads when coaches in the UK can drive at 113kph on motorways?

My thoughts exactly. An 80 kph speed limit for buses was fine 15-20 years ago but they have improved hugely recently.

I believe there was talk about changing it when the speed limits went metric, seems nothing happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

I completely agree that 80 kph is too slow a speed limit for a motorway for modern buses/coaches especially when they can do 113 once over the border

however the law if it was changed would apply to those rickety buckets of **** as well and i would not feel safe in a 25/30 year old coach at 100 kph

the law is 80kph and aircoach are at the very least encouraging there drivers to break the law
    it should be noted that if caught speeding the driver pays the penalty and gets the points loses his/her licence and job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

http://www.gometric.ie/revisedVehicleSpeeds_ad.pdf
    I notice HGVs are also limited to 80kph, now how many actually respect that?

afair
    they claim the cameras are capable of telling the difference between a coach and a car or truck or car

personally i think this is a pile of **** otherwise we would have a lot less truck and coach drivers at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 78,317 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is of course better for a bus to arrive/leave late than early.

Victor wrote:
    It is of course better for a bus to arrive/leave late than early.

best of all is for it to leave on time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

cdebru wrote:
    afair
    they claim the cameras are capable of telling the difference between a coach and a car or truck or car
    The cameras may not, but the guy who examines the picture and decides whether to prosecute it should surely be able to distinguish between a truck and a car.

• Advertisement

jlang wrote:
    The cameras may not, but the guy who examines the picture and decides whether to prosecute it should surely be able to distinguish between a truck and a car.

the cameras dont take a picture of every vehicle passing only those that exceed the speed limit

so if a bus is doing less than 120 kms it will not have its picture taken even though it is upto 40 kms over the actual speed limit for buses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

In Australia, they have a device called Safe T Cam. Basically it monitors the speed of HGV's. As a truck passes under a gantry the vehicle is photographed and the reg scanned and sent to a network. They system knows how long it takes to reach any of the other Safe T Cams in the network. If the truck drives under any of the other gantries in less than the minimum time (time includes travel distance and the required breaks to be taken by law) then a summons is automatically issued. Not sure if it applies to buses though!

Advertisement