Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.P.S.A. Membership form

Options
  • 04-04-2005 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi All

Please find attached a Membership Application Form for IPSA.

To those of you who have joined already your Membership Identity Cards will be in the post tommorow, the delay in sending them out was caused by not having the PO Box address sorted, all is in order now.

Hopefully as previously stated the web site will be up and running shortly and will allow for greater communication between the members of the Association.

At present IPSA may be contacted by email pistol@iol.ie

Application Forms may be posted to

IPSA
    PO BOX 856
    Naas
    Co. Kildare

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Excellent!
    Printed off and filling it out right now!

It's all pretty straightforward, but perhaps you might clarify this bit?-
    Are you currently in the process or do you intend applying for an FAC or Firearms Licence?
    Am I correct in thinking that an FAC is an U.K. (Norn Iron most likely in this case) Firearms Certificate, and are you looking for licences specifically for handguns (which I don't have, yet), or do you want licences for rifles/shotguns too??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Rovi wrote:
    Excellent!
    Printed off and filling it out right now!

It's all pretty straightforward, but perhaps you might clarify this bit?-

Am I correct in thinking that an FAC is an U.K. (Norn Iron most likely in this case) Firearms Certificate, and are you looking for licences specifically for handguns (which I don't have, yet), or do you want licences for rifles/shotguns too??? :confused:

In Short it's supposed to be both Irish and NI

The Reason

Down South were in the situation that neither a Borrower or a Lender be in relation to firearms (Some Clubs had reported problems) it will just gives us an insight into the membership and ownership etc. it will allow us to ensure that persons taking part in courses etc are compliant etc. etc.

its a bit like having to buy a car before you ever take a driving lesson

Hopefully in the longterm we can demonstrate that the situation that is present at the moment ie. someone can't take part in a training course because he will be handling a firearm which he is not licenced for is not good practice and we may receive permission for people to have access to firearms during courses etc.

The association would be in a position to say Listen we have 100 members of the association who have applied for their Licences and are waiting to do a basic safety course but at present the rules dont allow us to or are grey in relation !!!!!!!! So whould it be better if we could train them first etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Gun Shy wrote:
    The Reason
    Down South were in the situation that neither a Borrower or a Lender be in relation to firearms (Some Clubs had reported problems)
    Would this be what caused Kerry's current problems?
    its a bit like having to buy a car before you ever take a driving lesson
    Well, two bits of info on that;
    Firstly, we can at present put firearms on an authorisation for a club (including privately owned ones). This means you can have "club firearms", so you can be trained before buying - that's how clubs like UCD and TCD's rifle clubs operate. It does mean training must be formal - and frankly, that's a good idea.

Secondly, it looks like we'll be getting a training licence in the CJB. 12 and up for airguns, 14 and up for cartridge firearms. The licence will permit using but not possession of a firearm (the idea is for juniors to be able to train with firearms their parents would own, for example).
    Hopefully in the longterm we can demonstrate that the situation that is present at the moment ie. someone can't take part in a training course because he will be handling a firearm which he is not licenced for is not good practice and we may receive permission for people to have access to firearms during courses etc.
    We already have that through the authorisations mechanism though.
    Going to the DoJ and complaining that you can't do something that others are doing on a day-to-day basis (and have been for over forty years) wouldn't be a good idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 1911

I would be very worried about give my name, address, DOB, Pulse ID, Driving Licence number, Passport Number and copy of my FAC (number of firearms) to a group that his no fix address, no range , no statement on data protection, In this time of identity fraud and personal security my mother would not have all the above information.

Sorry lads maybe it just I do not know anyone of your personally, but a fancy membership form does not make you a bona fide association
    My personal views and Sparks, may differ but I respect the fact his real name is know on boards.ie

Gun Shy wrote:
    In Short it's supposed to be both Irish and NI
    Forgive me for being thick, but can I gather from this thread that it's just handgun licences you're interested in then?
    I don't have a handgun licence and haven't applied for one either. I will apply for one some day, but that's more of an aspiration than a definite plan.
    I'd suspect I'm like a lot of people, I fully intend getting a handgun in the fullness of time, but I'm waiting to see how the legislation and licencing situation pans out before I embark on the process of getting one.
    Therefore, I suppose, I'm no great use to the IPSA as a statistical 'licence applicant without a means of completing a safety course'.

1911's post also gives me pause for thought, as (s)he makes a very valid point about data protection. As stated, there's a lot of sensitive information requested there, and 'on mature reflection' ( :D ), I'd like a bit of reassurance that it will be carefully protected before I send it off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted to see IPSA get going and I hope it goes from strength to strength and becomes a powerful voice in the shooting lobby.
    With that in mind, I'll send off the €50 as a 'donation' to the cause, but I won't be sending off the application form until I see something about data protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Hi Guys

Hopefully the website will be up and running ASAP and a lot of your questions will be answered then.

The Shooting Board was just the quickest way to get the application forms out to those who were interested and had been waiting for developments.

I acknowledge the concerns about Data Protection and there will be a statement on Data Protection (which will go beyond the Irish Legislation and include Manual Data) on the website although at present anyone acting in the capacity as a data controller is obliged by the Acts on Data Protection to use the data in a certin manner etc. etc. so in effect a data protection policy or statement (which will be posted) is already in effect because it is Legal requirement. The addition that will be made of Manual data will be an extra addition which is not currently in Irish Law as Irish Law currently only covers data held on Computers.

The IPSA as the National Governing Body of Practical Shooting in Ireland recognised by the IPSC https://www.ipsc.org/index.html whould hope in time to cover all aspects of the Sport. I hope that you will appreciate that our affiliation to the IPSC was only accepted at the beginning of March and as such we are still in our infancy but we have recieved fantastic support from NITSA http://www.nitsa.org.uk/safety.html and the UKPSA. We have the invaluable support and Advice not alone from the Committee of NITSA but a UK National Instructor with over 30 years experience and a member of the UK National Team he also holds a Range Master Rating (one of only 4 people in Europe to hold this Classification) He is currently running Basic Safety Courses and Competition Courses at NITSA and after he has represented the UK in Ecquador he will be available to the IPSA to run courses as soon as we have an approved Range (MRC Hopefully)

Obviously there will be a multitude of questions etc and hopefully these will all be answered on the Website (hope ye guys can wait till then) and I look forward to meeting all interested in the MRC when it gets its approval.

In the meantime any interested parties who can PM me and I'd be more than happy to bring them to the NITSA Range as a Guest

The 2003 admentment to the Act does cover Manual Forms of Storage so in effect I was incorrect in saying "which will go beyond the Irish Legislation and include Manual Datamentioning" as it is already in place in Law (Gun Shy)

Thanks for that Gun Shy, I hope I didn't come across as 'awkward', but I thought that 1911 had brought up a valid point and I wanted a bit of clarification on it.

I'll still hold off on the application form until the Data Protection Statement is published, but 'the cheque is in the post' :D

Advertisement