Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The oppposite to a leaky tap

Options
  • 04-04-2005 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a problem with the cold water tap in my upstairs bathroom. When you turn the tap on you initially get a slow trickle of water. If you then turn the tap in the direction of "off" and then twist "on" again the flow increases, repeat this a number of times you eventually get the full flow of water.

I know the description may be a bit vague but does it ring any bells with anyone? Any help appreciated greatly.

Cheers!

Simon.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

What is happening here is the little piston valve inside the tap is sticking, probably due to limescale or age.
    Remedy either fit a new tap or, take the old one apart and clean.

Simple diy job, but get someone who knows what they are doing, or you may get water flowing everywhere. :D

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saibhne

Thanks for that Kadman - I'll have a look - might be an excuse to replace the taps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

this may sound obvious, but turn off the mains first.

also you should let another cold water tap, that comes from the tank aswell, run untill no more water comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

themole wrote:
    this may sound obvious, but turn off the mains first.

also you should let another cold water tap, that comes from the tank aswell, run untill no more water comes out
    You may be able to turn off the water storage tank with a valve.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hi Simon,

Leave your heating off so that both taps run cold. Then just use the hot tap.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saibhne

Thanks for the top tip Atheist, Don't you belong on the philosophy board? seems your info is as useful here as there... :D Only joking - as for the tip sure what do you think I've been doing for the past month?

Advertisement