Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody ever heard of little ol Scheme 48?

Options
  • 16-10-2000 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Found out we're doing Scheme 48 mad.gif instead of HTML ( ********* ***** ******* ******* ***** is all I can say to that )

has anybody here even used it?
    and what the hell do you do with it?

damn functional programming

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Is it any use, and more importantly is it well supported???

Is it purely for web programming or any programming???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Scheme is a generally useful programming langauge afaik, and certainly not just for web development. I'd certainly rather that to a html course ...

Anyway, more info here -> http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/projects/scheme/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

well it's not exactly a hard langauge as such
    only 17 different dang what's that word **** syntax thingie hehe :P

but I'd rather be doing HTML as such :-)

takes for the Nfo link anyway :-) seems none of the other 250 in the course have heard about it so i think I shall do some swotting on it :-)
    keep the labs as short as possible anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Derek Bell

Originally posted by Lord Khan:
    has anybody here even used it?
    and what the hell do you do with it?

Scheme is a Lisp dialect,
    these books cover it:
    Abelson & Sussmann, _Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs_ (2nd Ed.), McGraw-Hill

D.P. Friedman and M. Felleisen, _The Little Schemer_ and _The Seasoned Schemer_, both 4th edition, MIT Press

Scheme is available for several platforms, including the Palm Pilot (a version called LispMe).

Advertisement