Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is a funny one

Options
  • 03-04-2005 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

I know you chaps are too smart for this but I'd like to see what your answer is.

One object is 10^(-15)m long. Another is 10^(-10)m long. Is the second one a) 10^-5 times bigger, or b) 10^-5 times smaller?

Apologies if this is a repost.. mods feel free to delete should that be the case.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

If the words "bigger" and "smaller" are to denote larger in magnitude and smaller in magnitude respectively, then I reckon that the second number is bigger by a factor of 10^5 and therefore neither of your answers seem to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The answer is (a).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

ecksor wrote:
    If the words "bigger" and "smaller" are to denote larger in magnitude and smaller in magnitude respectively, then I reckon that the second number is bigger by a factor of 10^5 and therefore neither of your answers seem to apply.

Arigato gozaimasu.. I understood it but wasn't able to put it into words as well as yourself.
    The answer is (a).
    How do you figure that?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

I think ecksor is right, but (/tries to not sound like a prat.....) if we say "bigger" and "smaller" are reciprocals of each other (i.e. multiplication and division):

The second number is bigger by 10^5
    =>It is smaller by 1/(10^5)
    =>It is smaller by 10^-5

So I think (b) is the answer!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ApeXaviour wrote:
    I know you chaps are too smart for this but I'd like to see what your answer is.

One object is 10^(-15)m long. Another is 10^(-10)m long. Is the second one a) 10^-5 times bigger, or b) 10^-5 times smaller?

Apologies if this is a repost.. mods feel free to delete should that be the case.
    The 0.1nm object is 10(^+5) times bigger

just as two wrongs don't make a right (mostly ;) ) two negatives don't always make a positive ( uninflamamble ) so it's a bit like bigger/smaller is the sign of the exponent and the mantissa is always greater than unity, hope that's cleared it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Arigato gozaimasu.. I understood it but wasn't able to put it into words as well as yourself.

How do you figure that?

The easy way. I keyed it into a spreadsheet!

I just forgot to change 'bigger' for 'smaller'. :D

So it's (b), as congoose said.

Advertisement