Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limescale on sinks, toliets etc.

Options
  • 03-04-2005 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

How do you clean limescale on toliets and sinks etc. I can obviously use something sharp to scrape it off, but is there a better way? The waters crap in our area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

This is just what you need :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Ciaran500 wrote:
    This is just what you need :D

Nice elephant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Brushing everytime you use it will eventually get rid of most of it. Then ***carefully*** use a long bladed flat screwdriver that you won't ever use again :D

Using metal tools on ceramic is not really a goer in the long term. Eventually your going to scratch the surface. Especially on sinks etc. Which apart from ruining the appearance is going make it much harder to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bunker

Saw this before, get a small bag say a freezer bag or a fruit and veg bag from supermarket etc, fill it with normal household vinegar and slip the tap into it and tie a not round the back of the tap handle, leave say overnight and the limescale/crud should just wipe off or will have fallen off then wash the tap and round it with normal bathroom cream cleaner, eg cif and should restore them back to new and get rid of the smell of vinegar. For the toilet and rest of sink rub in well with a cloth a few times and go over with cream cleaner. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

...ummm a few people have mentioned vineagar to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

I bought some limescale remover cream - bit like jif - was supposed to remove limescale - it was absolute rubbish. I tried vinegar as well.

THEN the other week I came across this 'stuff' from local supermarket that you use for kettles and irons and shower heads etc. Called OUST all purpose descaler.

I gave it a go and it was bloody brilliant. I tried it first on the kettle and then on showerhead - both of which were caked in chunks of limescale - both were literally spotless after 10 mins. It stinks rancid and fizzes when you apply - need to have the object immersed in warm water then add the sachet of liquid, leave 10 mins and then rinse. I am sure it would work on taps and that...

Cheers sounds exactly what I'm looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Lidl sell a limescale remover, its fantastic and only costs about 1.39.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

magnumlady wrote:
    Lidl sell a limescale remover, its fantastic and only costs about 1.39.

Yup, thats what I used on my jax. You put it in for 10 minutes, scrub a dub dub with a loo brush and then flush.

(Says not to leave longer than the 10 mins). My jax is now white as Daz automatic :D Can't beat it.

Not sure if you could use this on a sink. For starters, if you did choose to do so, use rubber gloves. I would imagine (judging from the miracle it performed on the loo), that it is quite caustic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement