Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom light dilemma!

Options
  • 03-04-2005 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Went to change the bulb in my bathroom and discovered I can't!

The shade is to be stuck on with sealant or something. No amount of twisting or turning seems to be doing anything other than loosen the ceiling fitting.

Help :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Is the glass actually siliconed to the white fitting as per the pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Are you turning it anti-clockwise,

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

not siliconed, thats a rubber gasket and it probably has melted with the heat, maybe to storng a bulb. Generally speaking those sphere fittings are only good for 60w bulbs.
    Just hold the base twist it each way till the seal breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Run a Sharp knife round the seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Gracie,

A knife will not break the seal for you, the washer is on top of the bowl next to the fitting.

The only way I know of is to have two people doing the job, one holding the white plastic part while the other turns the bowl.

Gloves are essential as there is the possibility of breaking the glass, so hold the bowl in both hands while turning using equal pressure as best you can.

If the top section is turning it probably means one screw is not into timber and moving in the ceiling plaster board.

Sorry I can't be of any real help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Gracie*

Thanks for all your help.

This is the first time I've been near this light so I've no idea what watt bulb is in it. The same kind of fitting is in my ensuite and its in exactly the same condition (the ceiling fitting also moves on this when the shade is moved)

The better half thinks sealant was deliberately put on it for safety reasons.

I'll try your idea tomorrow rooferPete and let you know how its goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If there is a chance that glass will break, make sure to protect your eyes with glasses or goggles. Most important.

As Pete says, it just needs more pressure to twist it.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hi Gracie
    I came accross this light fitting a number of years ago. Reason for silicon is safety....to stop shade falling...from off to full on is only a 1/2 to 3/4 of one full turn.
    now ...how to get it off (without using hammer) -- sharp knife, screwdriver,then pick and pull silicon . when most is off, residue / remainder might come off with petrol /diesel oil. I'm nearly sure petrol dissolves silicon.
    NB If water and electricity don't mix, then petrol..etc...etc. Common sense and usual precautions etc
    t

Advertisement