Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Care courses

Options
  • 03-04-2005 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Despite the one year course in Killester, is there any other ones I haven't heard about in Dublin? Thanks. Also has anyone done the course or know anyone that's done it? Any information would be appreciated, thankyou. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gaia

does it have to be in Dublin? if you're feeling adventureous, Chester college in England does brilliant degree courses in animal behaviour, animal welfare and combinations of both. when i was in sixth year, i was going to go to Killester, but i talked to a groomer who said i'd be better off working with a groomer. for the veterinary assistant one, you'd be better off doing a course you can do with good veterinary centres that will train you to be a nurse, because no veterinary centres really hire 'assistants,' just nurses. in general, the Killester courses are only for if you are really stuck, and you would learn more from hands on work with a professional in the area. just like hairdressing training...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Blondie81

Thanks Gaia, do vetinary centres actually take on people to train as nurses? Do you have any details on this? Thanks a million for your help.

Bump! Any info or help would be appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

heya i did the animal care course in st.thomas' college in bray, its a two year course, I did the fetac awards and also the city and guilds awards.
    It was really good fun and all the teachers are lovely, you do everything from behaviour,wildlife and conservation, anatomy and physiology, grooming etc...
    if you want any more info let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

There's Animal Science in UCD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fuzzie Bear

I remember seeing a post on www.nightcourses.com a while back on courses around Ireland. If you post up a question about animal care, the person who manages the board gets back to you really quickly.

What kind of animal care do you want to do - Veterinary, grooming, dog training ?

I remember seeing a post on www.nightcourses.com a while back on courses around Ireland. If you post up a question about animal care, the person who manages the board gets back to you really quickly.

What kind of animal care do you want to do - Veterinary, grooming, dog training ?

Thanks for that, preferrably Vetinary....that's the only PLC course that comes up when I type in Animal or Vetinary. Vetinary nursing, Animal Science etc in UCD are all out of my reach due to not having the right grades in Maths etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

UCD has a Diploma in Vet Nursing you can apply for.

It may be upgraded to a degree in Vet nursing in the future.

psi wrote:
    UCD has a Diploma in Vet Nursing you can apply for.

It may be upgraded to a degree in Vet nursing in the future.

Yeah I checked that out but unfortunately you need a C in Maths, I don't have that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Blondie81 wrote:
    Yeah I checked that out but unfortunately you need a C in Maths, I don't have that.

I posted on another thread about this.

You can probably apply as a mature student if you are 23 or over (which you seem to be). In this case your LC results wouldnt carry as much weight and you'd go in through an application/interview selection process.

I can ask for you if you like as I know the Vet nursing course co-ordinator.

• Advertisement

Thanks but the closing date for mature applications is gone now.....

I just thought there would be more PLC courses out there but there doesn't seem to be.

have you checked out the animal care course in bray??

clairey wrote:
    have you checked out the animal care course in bray??

It seems to be pretty much the same as the one in Killester....but it's slightly more detailed and it's 2 years.

Looks like the same qualification in the end. Thanks everyone for your help, I just really thought there would be more of these type of PLC courses in Dublin.

Just thought I would bump this up if anyone knows anyone that's done the course and could help me out a bit....thanks.

dont know anyone who has done the killester one sorry! you could always go to the one in cork ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

<snip>

I don't know what your issue is but I suggest you don't bump up any more 7 year old threads. Please read the forum charter if you wish to post here, the parts relating to defamation in particular.

Locking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement