Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone who takes broken washing machines for free ?!?

Options
  • 02-04-2005 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there is anyone who will come take a washing machine away for free ?!? the circuit board on mine is gone and its like 150 to replace so its too old to bother doing but the rest of it is fine so assume could be used for parts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think you can take them to the new recycling centre at Ballyogan. We took an old dishwasher there recently. I'd personally beware of anybody offering to take things away for you for free ... the bits they don't want usually end up dumped by the side of the road somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Kristok wrote:
    Anyone know if there is anyone who will come take a washing machine away for free ?!? the circuit board on mine is gone and its like 150 to replace so its too old to bother doing but the rest of it is fine so assume could be used for parts.

dream on man, best u can hope for is ballyogen as the gentleman says. theyl take it for free, whereas anywhere else in dublin it costs 12 euro to 25 euro to dispose of a machine.

Alun wrote:
    .. the bits they don't want usually end up dumped by the side of the road somewhere.

or they come back and rob ur house later.................................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Kristok,

If you can get it to an approved disposal cetre for €25.00 take it there yourself, I have a very clean (looks new) washing machine with the motor gone.

In my area I don't have the luxury of a service at that rate, a shame because the two machines together would probably make one good one.

The problem is buying a new one is cheaper than the repairs ( must be a rant :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭samo

Ballyogan do charge for white good disposal these days (as do most of the civic amenities)

is approx 15-20 depending per electrical appliance and they are very strict about it - give you seperate tickets etc for different types of rubbish so not likely you can sneak it in under other rubbish!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Oxigen and Corpo and SDCC run free bring centres where you can bring white goods. Actually everything but household waste.

One off North Circular road, one in ballymount, one in Ballyogan theres a few around.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Oxigen and Corpo and SDCC run free bring centres where you can bring white goods. Actually everything but household waste.

One off North Circular road, one in ballymount, one in Ballyogan theres a few around.

kdjac

fridges only are free in ballymount it costs 25 for other appliances, ballyogen is the only one that charges nothing for ALL white goods, i brought a dishwasher there last week and the charge was zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.dublinwaste.ie/recycling_centre_charges_dublin.html

Just checked was free when i worked there last year.
    Free for cars with fridges and few other things.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

ballyogan and ringsend are free. least ballyogan was last week, and ringsend was 2 months ago.
    K

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I bought a new machine recently from DID and when the delivery guy came with the new one he took away the old one for about €20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hmmmmmmmmm,

A certain retailer was removing the old when the new was delivered, a lot of their stuff ended up dumped beside our workshop.

They even dumped the stuff regardless of being watched, took some neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

rooferPete wrote:
    Hmmmmmmmmm,

A certain retailer was removing the old when the new was delivered, a lot of their stuff ended up dumped beside our workshop.

They even dumped the stuff regardless of being watched, took some neck.
    They said the charge was for taking it to the local dump. Either way I would have had to pay, so whatever they do with it after they take it from me is their business.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    They said the charge was for taking it to the local dump. Either way I would have had to pay, so whatever they do with it after they take it from me is their business.
    I'm not 100% sure but I thought that if they then just dump it and it can be traced back to you somehow (unlikely, I know) then it is your business.

I think it's about time we introduced a levy at source on white goods like this that would pay for their removal like they do in many European countries. It would stop this kind of thing dead in its tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Alun wrote:
    I think it's about time we introduced a levy at source on white goods like this that would pay for their removal like they do in many European countries. It would stop this kind of thing dead in its tracks.
    AFAIK there is some levy system being put in place where manufacturers have to finance the proper disposal on end of life equipment. White goods and cars in particular are being targeted.

The system I was thinking of is what I experienced in the Netherlands. There, whenever you buy any kind of electrical equipment, you pay (to the retailer) a levy (verwijderingsbijdrage) depending on what it is, i.e. a small amount for an electric shaver, more for a fridge or a television. At the same time the retailer is obliged to take your old appliance away at no extra charge, since you've already paid for that service when you bought the old appliance.

I'm not sure how it all works administration-wise, since I'm sure the retailer gets a small cut for handling the old appliances, and a larger proportion of it goes to whoever does the actual recycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I ended up just paying power city 20 quid to take the old one.

I dont like the idea of paying a levy up front, if its a car what if i sell it for scrap ? or bring the fridge somewhere for free, the shop just gets the money and dosnt have to use it or worse still it gos to the government and we end up with another equestrian centre or stupid spike in the middle of another irish city.

yeah levys are another form of big brother, the fact is once u buy it u are responsible for it not the manufacturer, retailer or anyone else. if people are illegally dumping then they should enforce the law not impose a stupid tax.

It's not a tax, it's simply paying up front for what you should be doing X years down the line anyway. If you sell the article on, then simply get the person you're selling it to to give you whatever you paid for the levy when you bought it. It's about removing any incentive unscrupulous people may have to illegally dump in the first place, and I can't see how anyone could object, unless they're into conspiracy theories that is.

we pay our taxs, vat + income tax the government should be enforcing the laws not making us pay for it with another charge (ie tax) Just because there is a charge that dosnt mean people will not dump and you cant say to someone im charging you 20 quid more for this cause i paid that much extra when i bought it in the first place.

Its not a conspiracy theorie ireland has a history of this kind of thing as do many countries.

I wasnt happy paying someone to remove it (considering they will probably sell it for parts anyway) but id prefer that to paying up front for something i may never get rid off myself. Anyways the shop will probably make you bring it back to their storage shed or the shop you got it from in which case many people will just dump it (not me but the kind of people who would anyway)

• Advertisement

I don't know what planet you've been living on for the past X years, but the time when you could just make things like old fridges and washing machines just disappear into landfill sites for free have long since gone, and rightly so. Anybody who is prepared to take these things off your hands and dispose of them responsibly and in an environmentally friendly manner will charge you for that pleasure. Now, whether you pay them when you dispose of that item, or pay up front when you purchase it, desn't really make any difference now, does it? And it's not a tax, ferchrissake, you're simply paying for it's proper disposal, which you would do anyway being a responsible citizen, wouldn't you?

As far as the mechanics of the operation, the way the scheme worked in Holland was that the people who delivered your new appliance just took the old one away with them, simple as that, no extra charge. If it was a small item, like a shaver, say, you just took the old one in with you and dumped it at the shop where you bought the new one. The whole thing there is run by the NVMP, a not-for-profit organisation organised by the retailers associations involved, not the government.

what planet are you on, look at the previous posters they named places to bring these things for free and ive no intrest in putting them in land fills but i have no intrest in giving the government money up front i should pay for it when its getting disposed, next youll be wanting tax on food wrappers incase they get dumped on the side of the road instead of the bin. Ive been to holland many times and know how good it is over there with recycling etc and it works great but in ireland things like this has a nasty way of getting screwed up and money going to people and things that it shouldnt be. Shops all take goods like this away but they charge which is fine and if they dont dispose of them properly then the government should be looking into regulating them not taxing everyone.

At the end of the day it makes no difference the government does what it wants in ireland and acts like people who dont agree with them as if they are children who just dont know whats best.

All i wanted to know was there anyone who takes them away for free and there isnt as it seems, well not unless i want knackers coming around and doing as you say with what they dont want.

Well, nothing's ever for free when it boils down to it. I don't know how, for instance, Ballyogan Recycling Centre is financed, but you can be sure they're not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. They take fridges and washing machines for free, but charge for garden and domestic waste for some strange reason. I'd be perfectly willing to pay myself, but there you are. I've probably paid for it in my taxes somewhere along the line.

At the end of the day, levies shouldn't be necessary, I agree, and if everyone was as conscientious as you and I they wouldn't be. It's to take away the incentive to dump from the ignorant feckers who despoil the countryside with their cr@p that they're designed, and I'd be willing to bet that it's a lot more cost effective solution than vast armies of inspectors combing the countryside on the off chance that they'll catch someone dumping. It's difficult and costly enough as it is trying to catch the organised gangs, let alone the individual dumpers.

if there was a levy imposed of say 25 euro, that 25 euro will be worth 50 euro in 5 years when it comes to disposing of it.

do u really trust a government that contracted the toll on the M50 to arrange levies which they now they want to buy it back at twice the cost of the highest and most expensive bridge in the whole world for the poxy M50 lol, money in ireland has a nasty tendancy to end up in the pockets of a few strokers.

the fairest thing is the buyer owns it and when he doesnt want it he should pay to dispose of it. anything else is big brother, do u really need big brothers hand to cross the road, or tell u ur shoe laces arent done up?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lomb wrote:
    yeah levys are another form of big brother, the fact is once u buy it u are responsible for it not the manufacturer, retailer or anyone else. if people are illegally dumping then they should enforce the law not impose a stupid tax.
    But people were successfully evading the law. This stops most of the evasion and removes the incentive to do it in the first place.

lomb wrote:
    do u really need big brothers hand to cross the road, or tell u ur shoe laces arent done up?
    Now you're being silly. It's nothing to do with Big Brother, just a pragmatic way of dealing with a very real problem. The problem is that many people don't see any reason why they should pay to dispose of such things, and this way they don't get a choice. It's a shame that they can't be made to see reason, and do it of their own free will, but some people are just too stupid to see the obvious.

Anyway, if you read my posts properly, you'd have seen that the setup in Holland wasn't run by the government, but by a not-for-profit organisation set up by the manufacturers, importers and retailers of white goods. See http://www.nvmp.nl/html/10_english/01_fr_english.htm for more information.

Victor wrote:
    But people were successfully evading the law. This stops most of the evasion and removes the incentive to do it in the first place.
    That's it in a nutshell! Pity the other two can't see how obvious it is.

Victor wrote:
    But people were successfully evading the law. This stops mos tof the evasion and removes the incentive to do it.

while ripping everyone off in the process. here is an example- certain brands of machines are known to last longer than others. eg our washing machine lasted 25 years of daily use, dishwasher lasted 20 years, 20 year old microwave still going. why should i pay for someguy to make 25 euros off me in addition to the 25 euro disposal fee, just because certain people are criminals and dump stuff or buy cheapo machines and abuse them. why not increase the sentence for fly tipping to 5 years in jail? might discourage most of them.

what the country needs is proper laws, not big brother to protect us from ourselves and say well ye are all criminals and we cant find any of u so tough sh!t u will have to pay up front. what a crock. its not financially viable to administer a scheme to dump machines with prepayments.

ie would cost too much.

A levy like this just tars everyone with the same brush. 99.99999% or the population would never consider just dumping it and the few people who will do it wont give a crap if they can brint it back to the shop. They will dump it in a country lane rather than drive back to dublin etc to bring it back.

I totally agree that its wrong but its totally wrong to make the majority of people pay for something they are not doing. As it is most people have to pay to get it taken away unless they have a van and can bring it to a legal dump. Places like Ballyogan can take them in for free cause they make a fortune selling parts. There should be higher fines etc put on dumping and make the people who are doing it pay.

There is no hope that it will be not for profit, the m50 agrument is very relevent the same was said at the time, let a company run it and the money will pay for the road. Well the company now makes way too much money and contribute little or nothing back to the country.

• Advertisement

Kristok wrote:
    Well the company now makes way too much money and contribute little or nothing back to the country.

id say its taking from the country wouldnt u?

bottom line is it wont work it will cost too much. i think NTR also deal in environmental disposal so low and behold they will be running the M50 scam and the washing machine disposal scam potentially. isnt ireland great? and people here actually accept it.

Advertisement