Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Shooting Clubs

Options
  • 02-04-2005 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭

Hey i was just wondering if any of you know if there is a galway target shooting club. I did a bit of searching but turned up nothing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Longslide45

There seems to be NOT ONE rifle club west of the Shannon!From Limerick to Donegal there is AFIK zip,nada,nowt! Nearest is Midland rifle and pistol near Tullamore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

Hey i was just wondering if any of you know if there is a galway target shooting club. I did a bit of searching but turned up nothing.
    As there does not seem to be one in your area, why not start one yourself? I am sure there are a lot of shooters out west who would be willing to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

that would require far too much effort and money.

all that equipment & finding a place to shoot and all that.

Im only a sudent looking for a passtime. If i win the lotto tonight that will be the first thing on my list. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you're a student you might think about starting a college club in UCG, no? I know of at least one other person who was interested in doing that and had contacts with the local Superintendent; find a few more - and someone on the UCG staff who's sympathetic - and starting with an air rifle range in the college wouldn't be that hard.

starting a range may not be that hard but getting the financing would be a challenge.

If anything like that is going to happen it would have to wait till next college term cause its pretty much the end of the college year soon and then exams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

I'm that student who is thinking about starting up a rifle club.

As far as I know, there is not a single range this side of the shannon (a legal one anyway ;) ). College won't give me any money for at least 1 year, and I can hardly see them giving us any ranges or land.

Basically, it's not really worth my time to set one up right now as interest is fairly low.

Are you in GMIT or UCG?

as my sig says im in GMIT. where you at?

Ucg.

Well, there's a Connaught Intervarsity right there for you...
    (You'd be surprised how useful inter-college matches are for driving up competitive levels - look at where DURC and UCDRC have come to in competitive terms because of the training that goes into every year's colours match!)

If anything it would be a joint NUIG - GMIT or NUIGMIT as I like to call it, that's the best way to get funding ala NUIG - GMIT kayak club.

• Advertisement

ne1 know if there are any target clubs in the Wexford area?

Ya i suppose that would be the easiest way to get the club going but it would still require a huge effort. Getting permission/liscences/land/funding/equipment.

If someone else was planning to spearhead the movement id be glad to help out where i could but other than that im not going to go to any great lenghts.

Psycho, there's the Wexford shooting sports club, but I don't know what kind of target shooting they do, whether it's ISSF or not.
    Ya i suppose that would be the easiest way to get the club going but it would still require a huge effort. Getting permission/liscences/land/funding/equipment.
    Well, try starting with air rifle. You need a room that's 12 metres across in one direction and at least two metres in the other (so you can have 2 firing points at least), an air rifle or two, a few targets and a target changer. If you could get a grand in funding, you'd be off to a great start, but if money was a serious problem, get an IZH-61 or two at sixty-odd quid sterling a pop, a target holder for a few quid second-hand, and walk down the range every few shots to change targets. It'd be starting the hard way, but you could do it for less than three hundred euro or so. The major problem won't be the money - the major problems are
    1) Getting the college on board;
    2) Getting the students to shoot.
    If someone else was planning to spearhead the movement id be glad to help out where i could but other than that im not going to go to any great lenghts.
    See, that's another problem. If you can find one or two others who would be willing to form the kernel of the club with you, you might find that it's not as hard as going it alone. But you do need those two or three people to actually stand up and do some work to make it all happen, or else it never will. Seriously, that affects shooting right throughout the sport from the lowest level to the highest level of administration - there's a scarcity of people who are willing to step up and do the work (and at the same time, not be total loopers who you wouldn't want to speak for you in a million years if there was the slightest chance anyone would hear them! :D ).

Advertisement