Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Network socket

• 02-04-2005 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

In my wisdom when I bought my Dell inspiron 2500 laptop, I decided I didnt need a network card. Now however I do. I have a network socket on the side of the laptop. Is there a jumper inside the computer or is it a card that wasnt installed,and if so where might I get one.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

can you post up a pic of what you are referring to? I reckon its fow a telephone cable that you are on about. need to be sure though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 markkilpatrick

Most laptops come as standard with a network card these days. Its probly a wirless card you didnt get.
    Network port has 8 connections, a phone one has either 2 or 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Its definately for a network lead. the phone port is on the back.

If its defo for a network cable then there is a network card built into the laptop! Do you require any network cable? I can make them up for you!

no thanks i dont need any cables. i cant find any reference to the network card in the system list or in the bios

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 markkilpatrick

If its defo for a network cable then there is a network card built into the laptop! Do you require any network cable? I can make them up for you!

Your really tryin to push thoes cables arent ya.

Grand! right click on my network place and then select properties! Do you see anything about local area connection or anything to that description?

no i cant fin any reference to network cards at all. I suspect i just have the standard modem installed. I found a website that sell network cards for the modem of dell i have any hope fully it will just replace the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

You should be able to get a PCMIa card(or whatever:)) for that!

EDIT: Here ye go!

There's LOADS of them on ebay, just go to the main site and type in 'network card'; then click the link relating to laptops.

If ye don't want to buy off ebay, just get the name of a few of them and ask in any shop, like Maplin's or *gulp* PCWorld!

buy a PCMCIA network card from the likes of komplett!

• Advertisement

thsnkd for the replies. I was hoping that it would just be a matter of changing a jumper seeing as i have the required socket, but i would imagin the necessary cards wasnt install when i bought it.

what socket have you required? Dont you mean the necessary cable? You will defo need to buy either a usb or a PCMCIA network card to set ur laptop up on a network!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I would be surprised that theres a port and no network card. Usually there on the motherboard. Only things like wifi or bluetooth are installed as modules. But maybe on a low cost model they don't have it. Did you run the Dell profiler on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

some dells require an internal card
    which ould go in beside the memory on the underside
    there is proball a littl door that will come off with 1 screw
    thats where u want to pu it

Dec

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

go to www.dell.ie and into support
    pop in your tag no and you can look up the specifications in the user manual if you don't have it on the laptop.

check in device manager to see if a network card is listed.

If you didn't order a NIC then you probably can't add one later - yeah it might be a case of adding a mini pci card but might be messy.

Oh and forget about PCMCIA cards the dongles are designed to break
    get a usb adaptor instead - they are cheaper too. !

http://www.bay-wolf.com/parts_insp2500.htm - parts list

where's my NIC ?
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_modem&message.id=14637
    Looks like it is a mini PCI card optional extra
    http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins2500/en/sm_en/remove.htm#1050760

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Those particular Dells were wired for both modem and ethernet. Normally the ethernet port is coved by a small plastic cover to avoide confusion. Both ports are wired back to the Mini PCI card. The card came as either a modem or a network card and a modem. The combo card had space to plug in both ports.

I dont know how easy it would be to pick up the combo card at this stage...

thanks for the advice lads. I have ordered the internal network card as I lost the dongle for my pcmcia.

Advertisement