Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

varnish technique

Options
  • 01-04-2005 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

hi, first of all i'm an absolute beginner at wood work so am looking for some advice.
    i am currently doing my leaving cert. wood work project and i'm just wondering what is the proper way of varnishing my project. i realise i can just slap it on, but what should i do for the best results.
    may sound like a stupid question, but as i say i'm a beginner, and i want to maximise my grade as much as i possibly can. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Sand from rough grits of sandpaper down to finer and finer grits of sandpaper! Make the timber as silky smooth as possible! Also sand between each coat of varnish using very fine sandpaper! I always use 400 grit to do this! It always works a treat for me and dont over load the brush with varnish cause you will get drips forming and they look nasty on the final finish!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Thin the varnish slightly with about 10-15% white spirit, if you are using white spirit based varnish. This alows the varnish to run out smoother, and leave no brush marks. It is also easier brushing on. But don't overload the brush. A top quality varnish brush makes all the difference as well, so dont use a cheap brush.

Unthinned varnish, is like brushing on treacle, thinned varnish is like brushing on light oil.

For the professional finishers.If you want an exceptionally smooth finish, after 4-6 coats of varnish, leave it to harden for 4-5 days. Then use 2000 grit red wet and dry paper, and a bowl of water with a drop of washing up liquid. Wet the paper liberally and wipe the surface gently, this will give a glass smooth finish. This is probably too advanced for you Damo, but if you think its the finish for you. Get PLENTY of practice on SCRAP FINISHED material first. DONT do your leaving cert project this way unless you master the technique.

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 damo dempsey

just came across this thread again, and i realised i forgot to say 'thanks'.so, thanks kadman and galwaydude for your advice.
    p.s i'm starting to put the finishing touches to my project, and will be beginning to varnish in the next week or so. i think i'll stick with the foolproof way of doing it, because i don't want to make a mess of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

your more than welcome! Post up a pictrure of your project when you have the finish applied! The finish can really make or break a nice project!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Good luck Damo :)

kadman :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement