Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations

• 01-04-2005 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

I've been a big fan of Classical but never actually made many purchases because of the fact I'm not really sure what I need to be looking for specifically.

I look in the Classical section in HMV, Tower etc. but all I see is Concertos in E minor etc.

Basically I'm looking for the most stirring and moving Classical compositions by well known composers. What should I be looking for album-wise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Have a look in the Naxos section, they have some good starter compilations. I was a bit like yourself, but I bought a great Naxos album a few years ago called "Discover Classical Music". It was a double CD of music starting with Gregorian chants and progressing in a roughly chronological order up to early 20th centiry composers like Gershwin. Also included were two booklets, one about the music on the CDs and the composers, the other on how to compile a classical collection with suggestions of works by dozens of composers. I've no idea if it's still available, but it might be worth hunting down as it gives you a good idea of many composers work and has extracts from a lot of well known pieces.

As for specific stuff, you can't go wrong with a bit of Beethoven. Check out his 9th Symphony ("Choral" - Ode to Joy, the EU anthem) for something stirring, or Moonlight Sonata for something moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Bazz

Thanks for that man. Moonlight Sonata is a beautiful piece. Tried to finger-tap it in Bass, a la Stuart Hamm.

I'll check ou that Naxos album though.

btw what would Moonligh Sonata be on, what Beethoven album would it be on?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

HMV's own Classics label have Moonlight Sonata on a CD with 3 other sonatas, but it's titled Moonlight Soanata. You should be able to find it in one of their stores easy enough.

Advertisement