Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating issue with dormer bungalows

Options
  • 01-04-2005 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Looking into building at the moment. Am keen on the idea of a dormer but someone today has told me that they tend to have issues with heat in the upstairs due to a lack of an attic.

Claimed they can be too hot in summer and too cold in winter.

Anyone got anything to say about that?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lived in a dormer in Gallaimh and they were definately very warm but the fact it was a timber frame also aided to the heating of the house, as for been cold in Winter I definately did not find this, too warm in summer, it was very warm alright, open the window or wall vent soon sorted that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi sas,

Done properly you should have no problems with heating or controlling the heat, a lot has to do with the insulation and venting the roof properly.

The central heating can be a pressure system (fairly standard) if balanced properly it is a very efficient house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi sas,

Done properly you should have no problems with heating or controlling the heat, a lot has to do with the insulation and venting the roof properly.

QUOTE]

Bang on the money . again , Rooferpete. :D

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

afaik if you look up the building regulations reguarding insulation then you'll find that in a house with an attic the attic is taken into account in the calculations for the insulation level that must be reached - ( ie the air in the attic ) --- in a dormer the calculations are different because there is no air gap along most of the room/roof. ( there is a diagram of this on either the environ.ie website or maybe it's on sei.ie ) so in the part where there's no air gap there needs to be a higher level of insulation to achieve the regulations. i think that this means that you need to use high density insulation ( which our builder was not keen on working with ???? ) --- but it can easily be worked out and i think you need too much thickness of the wool type to fit between the rafters - i would check out kingspan for a bit of help too on it
    anyway it is possible to achieve the same level of insulation between the rafters of an attic room as you would get in the entire roof structure of a traditional build

in our house ( dormer ) we have a LOT of insulation ( a little over the building regs ) and the attic rooms are grand ( in winter ) --- dont know about summer yet !! ( we put insulation between the floors too )

Advertisement