Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Sky tv OnLine?

Options
  • 01-04-2005 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just saw an ad for a company offering a subscription allowing you to watch sky tv online.

http://www.watchsky.com

After a google search there seems to be lots of companies offering such services. I cant seem to find any reviews / discussion forums about them, t get an idea of how these kind of companies work.

So has anybody used such services? Is the quality as bad as imagine it is? Is it a scam to get credit card details? Is it legal?

Cheers

Fintan
    (if this should be the computers section sorry)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Id imagine quality is simular to www.launch.com but its got to be illegal sky work on a satalite system thats where their money is invested. Plus if it was legal you think sky are going to let someone else do it and not do it themselves and make all the profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 WIZZARD34

to all those whom have obtained a service from www.watchsky.com
    i am afraid to tell you that it is an ileagal service best advice is do not touch
    i have a contact in sky and have just come of the phone with him and he has confirmed that sky services are not available on line and this company is ileagal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Fair enough SKY obviously wouldnt be too happy about it.

But what about when people used to sell the hacked sky cards ( i dont know if they still do) that was legal, and what about the transmitters that was legal too, not sure what the outcome of the case was. But as these people are all still in business, im sure it falls under some sort of grey legal area. Considering they claim to be based in the UK and one company even offers over the telephone technical support!

anyway thanks for the replies

Cheers

Fintan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Hack Sky cards were always illegal. What transmiters were you talking about.

Just because they have not been caught doesn't mean its legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

All these sites are scams that offer sky through the web
    one other site like the one mentioned is
    www.skyonyourpc.co.uk

AFAIK from posts on www.digitalspy.co.uk these sites only offer links via e-mail to streams like sky news etc. and are no better quality than video on your mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Sparky_S wrote:
    All these sites are scams that offer sky through the web
    one other site like the one mentioned is
    www.skyonyourpc.co.uk

AFAIK from posts on www.digitalspy.co.uk these sites only offer links via e-mail to streams like sky news etc. and are no better quality than video on your mobile.

That makes more sense, thought it looked to good to be true, will have a look at the website and see what they say.

As for hacked sky crads being illegal, im pretty sure they were legal for a while and then there was a big court case and they had to stop selling them, must be 10 years ago.

The transmitters were generally found in the countryside, servicing small towns, and were leagl for a while too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 maggiellen

fintan wrote: »
    That makes more sense, thought it looked to good to be true, will have a look at the website and see what they say.

As for hacked sky crads being illegal, im pretty sure they were legal for a while and then there was a big court case and they had to stop selling them, must be 10 years ago.

The transmitters were generally found in the countryside, servicing small towns, and were leagl for a while too.

I am afraid am one of the idiots who tried to access such a site. Cost me £6.85 and then I was directed to a site called tvu player which was free anyway. Don't touch any of them. I should have stuck to my rule "IF IT LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT USUALLY IS!!"

Advertisement