Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norton Anti-virus CE 7.5 update prob.

Options
  • 19-07-2001 9:25am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is I. He who doth leech from your brain smile.gif

I've gone and hit a brick wall... or fire wall perhaps <sorry!>

Anyway, I've installed NAV CE 7.5 on every box containing a cpu in the company. All fine and dandy, weekly updates go ahead, daily scans kick in automatically. quite tasty.

However, I have to connect via PCanywhere to a webgate (ITS and firewall).

NAV is already on it, right version, right edition, standalone as it doesn't connect directly to our boxes in the main office. Got full admin rights. All seems lovely.

Except: it wont connect to the internet to get liveupdate (that's not an issue, it's not supposed to) however, the downloadable Virus Update Installer file refuses to update the virus definitions!
    It runs and tells me it has worked but the virus scanner stays as last february's definition file (I've checked the virus list and the "what's new" isn't on there). I've copied across a virus definition folder and edited the Definition DAT file manually but no good. It just reverts to the older one and deletes the folder I introduce - knew it couldn't be that easy.

Defwatch is running, the definition .vbd file is there and readable

me = stumped.

there are two definition folders already there so it was run in the past and updated. The guy I took over from says he just did exactly what I am doing. PCAnywhere--->transfer the Update file---> Run the file on the webgate ---> do a scan. fine.
    But that not working for me frown.gif

help?

I'll stick a link to this on the tech boards if that's ok as it could be a PCanywhere issue as opposed to a NAV issue.

checked the Symantec website, ran through the solutions they provided for problems similar to this, nothing. nada. nichts.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

nearly forgot.

Webgate: WinNT Sp6a (I think, I didn't set it up)
    Network here: WinNT
    My 'puter: Win2k sp2

PCanywhere: V 9.2.0 build 239
    NAV: Corporate edition 7.50.846
    Scan engine: 4.1.0.6

currently showing 030215my as the virus def file.
    want to update it to 030717am

using update: 0717i32.exe

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I used NAV for 2-3 years on a Win85/98 LAn. Only had a problem on a very infrequesnt basis. Sometimes it had difficulty in updating files. But, a reboot usually sorted it (OK, I admit it, I got p***ed off and went home for the night).

If I have it right, you are updating a remote machine from your own server. Does NAV block this, through it's security mechanisms, so that 'rogue' servers can't disseminate faulty update files. Is it possible you have to[/b] update from a Norton server?

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

the NAV on the webgates is a server installation.

A client won't work as it can't contact the server directly, only through PcAnywhere.

oh, now the file protection has decided to sit down and stop on Both webgates! The services are running but the virus-shield ability is showing a nice little red line through it. This is following a reboot frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Gibo

LoLth,
    I support all Symantec products calls in Ireland here in systemhouse. If you want to shoot me an email with all the details and any errors you get to martin@systemhouse.ie i will escalate the issue for you and get a result. Sorry i have a talk on now and cant read the problem properly,
    regards,
    Martin

ah well.

turs out the webgates are hardened and WoWexe won't run dos applications because of something in config.nt... don't know what it is yet, but they are due a security update so I'll get the antivirus done during that bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement