Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 2000 Security Risk Pro & Server

Options
  • 14-07-2001 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

You gotta love this one.

Every IIS installation on W2K (Pro or Server) includes the default installation of an SMTP server. IIS is installed by default on all W2K Servers.

MS01-037 addresses a vulnerability in this SMTP service that could permit an attacker to perform SMTP Relaying. For those unaware, SMTP Relaying is one of the primary reasons SPAM exists today. This has nothing to do with Exchange Server 5.5 or Exchange 2000's SMTP service, they both use code that's unaffected by this problem.

If you use it, patch it, if you don't, remove it. In any case, check to see if you have it or not.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms01-037.asp

Cheers,
    Gibo.... smile.gif

Of All thge things i've lost, i miss my mind the most!
    Skribbles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The scariest thing is, Windows XP is (probably) going to ship with raw sockets with the full tcp/ip implementation. And all the losers currently running WinME will upgrade to it in it's consumers guise. It'll be... interesting.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

Advertisement