Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to Ireland

Options
  • 01-04-2005 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭

I am due to return to Ireland early 2006 after 4years in Australia and would like to bring back my steyr mannlicher 270win (I will probably sell my israeli mauser and Ruger .22).
    I was wondering if anyone has had experience in returning to Ireland with firearms.

Is it easy to do or should I sell here and buy a new rifle when I return?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I have no personal experience of this myself, but a bit of searching this board seems to indicate that it's not inordinately difficult.
    Looks like getting a licence from your future local Super and an Import Cert from the Dept. of Justice are the easiest way to go, and you can bring them in as luggage.
    You'll probably need 'good reason' for the .270- target club, or a deer permit seem to be the current favourites, and permission from a landowner (if you don't have any of your own) would probably be good enough for the .22.

The other option, I suppose, is to transfer them to a firearms dealer here, and make all the licensing arrangements when you get yourself set up.
    This might be how you'll have to do it, as you're talking about a .270 and it'd be a bit tricky doing all the security stuff and club memberships/landowner permissions from the far side of the planet.

As I said, all this is just what I think I've gathered from this board, so don't rely on this being the definitive situation.
    There are others here with much more experience of this thing, so I'd be inclined to wait until we hear from them :D

Oh, and unless you've some particular reason for leaving them behind, at least look into bringing all the shootin' irons with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

I would make sure I had a receipt saying the item was more than 12 months old to make sure they don't charge you import duty on it.

Advertisement