Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Dell?

Options
  • 01-04-2005 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

For pete's sake, I JUST got my new inspiron 9300 which I payed 2000 yoyos for and it's ****in screwed. It just turns off a few mins after I use it, even when it's plugged in. Then when I go to turn it back on the "on" button doesn't work and right now it seems dead, I ****in payed big money for it and now I have to get onto some idiot dell employee on the telephone tommorrow and give out **** to him/her and then I have to wait weeks for me to send it out to em and then get it back. For christ sake after paying so much money I would have expected they send me something half decent, but no, 1 week and it's ****ed. It's not like I have been doing much with it so far, just installed a few games etc. So, so angry, I wouldn't like to be the person on the other end of that line tommorrow at dell, so if you work at dell I advise you to stay home sick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

no point in abusing dells employees, a certain proportion of products will always be dead on arrival. for laptops dell are more reliable than most i can assure u.
    im sure they will replace it quickly for u, no need to shout at anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

it wasn't dead on arrival, worked fine until this morning, and all today. I have to plug out the adaptor, wait a few mins, then turn it back on but then it goes again, just black. Yeah I'll calm down by tommorrow, hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

tell me im not the only one who feels like saying "Shut the **** up, you child" after reading that...

Do u realise what they'll be doing at the other end of the fone while ur shouting?

1/ Laughing, and making faces at the phone to entertain ther collegues
    2/ Drawing pictures of happy places
    3/ Not listening, and possibly playing solitare
    4/ Thinking about how much their gonna laugh when u go off on a mad one-breath sentence and they say "can u repeat that please?".

The person on the other end of the phone has nothing to do with your laptop, so why scream at them?

Cause I'm pissed and wanna let off a little steam at some1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

Whoa! Chill! I'd consider Dell pretty damn reliable TBH, have had inspiron 510m for almost a year now, and it's given me no crap at all!
    *loves laptop*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Oh god as soon as I saw dell in the post I shuddered in a bad way! Hate dell with the higest of hate! I have no time for them at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Relax Winston .. i mean Jimmy .

As someone already said, there can be problmes with some of the systems that dell ship , it's very unfortunate, but it can happen.

All you need to do is contact Tech support and they will sort this for you

Seeing as you got the system so recently they should do thier upmost to sort this quickly.

If you want to vent, you've done that on this tread.

but to me you sound like someone who is a "Me , me , me" person who can't tolerate the flaws they see in other people because it reminds you of the flaws in yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Dell can be retards.

9 months now, and still no invoice for my €1700 Inspiron 8600.
    Not that I'm complaining - free laptop!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Wouldnt be Dells biggest fan but screaming at tech support staff aint gonna get you anywhere :rolleyes:

Every product has the odd DOA from laptops to fridges to cars to a box of bananas and beleive me, if you're day is spent answering phones to customers with problems and they scream or get abuse at you, you're gonna do you're very best not to help them whereas i'd go well beyond the call of duty to help respectable callers.

I feel you're frustration, I've bought my fair share of dud stuff but be nice and they'll help you much bettter id say.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

pclancy wrote:
    I feel you're frustration, I've bought my fair share of dud stuff but be nice and they'll help you much bettter id say.

Be polite but explain your situation, from experience if a customer phones me and screams at me I'll do what I have to do to help them.

If a customer is nice about things and doesn't hurl abuse at me I'll do my best to help them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭iceman_2001_ie

Megatron wrote:
    but to me you sound like someone who is a "Me , me , me" person who can't tolerate the flaws they see in other people because it reminds you of the flaws in yourself.

Megatron, who are you to make sweeping generalisations about a complete strangers personality, based on one post? Crawl back under that rock there...

Back on Topic.

By all means, f*ck Dell tech support out of it.
    I do it regularily, in a professional context.
    They are trained professionals who can cope with the stress of one pissed off customer.

To everybody who was advising you to "be nice", this is not the psychology board.
    Be pissed.
    Be angry.
    Bottling it up can only make it worse.
    How's that for psychology?

By the way, once you've got your rant out of of your system, Dell will do their utmost to ensure that you will receive a new working machine (or at least a full repair) with 24 hours. I know. I've had it done for me a dozen times at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

For pete's sake, I JUST got my new inspiron 9300 which I payed 2000 yoyos for and it's ****in screwed. It just turns off a few mins after I use it, even when it's plugged in. Then when I go to turn it back on the "on" button doesn't work and right now it seems dead, I ****in payed big money for it and now I have to get onto some idiot dell employee on the telephone tommorrow and give out **** to him/her and then I have to wait weeks for me to send it out to em and then get it back. For christ sake after paying so much money I would have expected they send me something half decent, but no, 1 week and it's ****ed. It's not like I have been doing much with it so far, just installed a few games etc. So, so angry, I wouldn't like to be the person on the other end of that line tommorrow at dell, so if you work at dell I advise you to stay home sick

Umm...you have set all your preferences in the Dell QuickSet power options utility, right? Sounds to me like your machine is going to standby or the screen is powering down (dell set it to some absurdly low time at the factory).
    Might be a good idea to check all the obvious stuff before you start jumping down someone's throat about it being FUBAR.
    Failing the above, you may also have a DOA battery; if this were the case the machine would have trouble drawing power even while on AC and just power down or go dead.
    Last thing to consider is that sasser worm...if you had your AV off and were online, then it could have infected the machine...it powers it down and reboots every 60 seconds or something...prolly clutching at straws here though...

My 8600 is now almost 2 months old and I've not had one minute's trouble with it. Very sturdy (for plastic lol) and a well built unit.

technical support say it's a motherboard problem and i'll be talkin to em again on monday. (i was nice)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

When in doubt buy a VAIO. Best lappys you can spend your cash on! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 katnip

Thank god! I thought I was the only one having problems. My laptop is also f*****. I spent a fortune on it thinking it would be an investment and it's needed parts replaced 4 times since I bought it 9 weeks ago! Unfortunately there's no point taking it out on some guy at the end of the phone, cause he's in England and doesn't give a toss. Consumer affairs advised me to send a written warning to head of Dell Ireland demanding a new working laptop within 5 days, or else..... (well actually the or else bit was me)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭maidhc

I have absolutely no connection with the company but my latitude motherboard was a DOA. Dell replaced it at my house in 24hours.

I dont think any computer of any make is immune from problems, and certainly with laptops it is worth spending extra on a good service package. Obviously if you choose to save money on the service package you will face an uphill battle to argue that you machine is defective after 13 months. Before any one mentions it, there is not an EC regulation guaranteeing 2yrs warrantee, the reg in question actually does less that the Irish Sale of Goods act (although it may be of benefit if you have less than 6mths of a warantee...)

I dont see the difficulty in having to talk to a person on the fone for 20mins/half an hour if it achieves the purpose required. It still beats going into PCW and talking to a buffon there who is going to ask stupid questions anyway. A laptop is essentialy a HD, motherboard and a screen. If the Mobo is replaced you will essentially have a new laptop.

If you want a fanstastic laptop you should probably buy a thinkpad, but even then you are not guaranteed that you wont have problems. Relax. You hear lots about dells for the simple reason there are so many around, but they are a fairly good relaible machine.

Advertisement