Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden pest at night

Options
  • 31-03-2005 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

My house is being attacked by some garden pest. It is like a caterpiller, dark in color, about 40mm in length and can be seen in their thousands crawling up my walls at night but little or no sign of them during the day.

What are they and how do i kill them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Slugs? Get a bowl and pour some larger into it and leave in middle of garden/flowers,and wait for the carnage. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

An old gardeners trick was to use strips of copper at the base of the plants to stop the slugs from eating them, they like cabbage, lettuce and a lot of flowers.

I don't know if it was the copper oxide or the sharp edges but it seemed to work, you can get slug pellets but I was told they can be harmful to pets and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was going to say slugs too, but thousands of them ?????!!!!!! Or was this a slight exaggeration :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I've never seen a slug that looked like a caterpillar, nor a caterpillar that looked like a slug, :D:D

kadman :)

Mind you according to his profile he does live in "MiddleEarth near Moria", so you never know :)

• Advertisement

Keeks wrote:
    My house is being attacked by some garden pest. It is like a caterpiller, dark in color, about 40mm in length and can be seen in their thousands crawling up my walls at night but little or no sign of them during the day.

What are they and how do i kill them?
    Any chance of a photo? If you dare get that close to them that is :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

go to the garden centre, get yourself some slug pellets, and spread around the base of each plant, they will die and your plants will never be eaten again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

There are miullipedes and they don't seem to be attacting the plants. Like i said, they come out at night and start climbing up the walls of the house. They are just begining to annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

maybe put wide doublesided (v sticky) tape, or sticky non drying tar, round the wall bout 8" from the floor, the get stuck on it, worked for me. had to do it for about 3 days tho'

hope that helps :)

Advertisement