Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Important, Dell Laptop PSU recall****

Options
  • 31-03-2005 12:50am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got this in a mail from the headof comp services in work:
    Dell is voluntarily recalling and offering free replacements for certain power adapters that were sold for use with some models of Dell Latitude, Dell Precision and Dell Inspiron laptop computers. It is possible for the adapters to overheat, which could pose a risk of fire or electrical shock.

The adapters were shipped to customers between September 1998 and February 2002. The words "DELL," and either "P/N 9364U", "P/N 7832D" or "P/N 4983D" are printed on the back of the adapters.

For further assistance in identifying if you have one of the potentially faulty adapters or not, please go to: https://www.delladapterprogram.com This site also contains all the instructions of what to do if you have an adapter that needs to be replaced.

Seems to be the read deal, Google has loads of hits about it:

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=delladapterprogram&btnG=Search&meta=

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

This same thing is happening to the XBOX'S PSU's aswell, a recall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Whats going on here? Is both companies got the same company to build the power supplies or what? madness that both companies are recalling back hardware due to power supply faults!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There compleatly unrelated...

Ok then! Thought maybe the same company was making the power supply for both companies! My wrong!

My understaning of X-Box PSU's is that there internal and the solder joints break down casuing them to spark. MS replaced the power lead with a circuit breaker or somthing like that. There's a thead in the games/X-Box fourm about it.

The Dell ones are external units that over heat and burn out from the sounds of it.

• Advertisement

Ah now that makes sense allright! Solder joints that break down and could cause a spark would be a great cause for concern! The dell ones are just as dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ive a PSU from dell for the Inspirion 9100 and with it on a table you could fry a rasher on it.
    It gets so hot than when my feet are cold i use it. No really i do sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Rew wrote:
    My understaning of X-Box PSU's is that there internal and the solder joints break down casuing them to spark. MS replaced the power lead with a circuit breaker or somthing like that. There's a thead in the games/X-Box fourm about it.

The Dell ones are external units that over heat and burn out from the sounds of it.

The fix hasn't actually FIXED anything, apparently, tho...

I know but this is the Laptop board so I was trying to avoid too much deatil other then to day they are seperate problems.

Advertisement