Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Swords to city centre?

Options
  • 30-03-2005 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭

What time would I have to leave to get by car or bus to the city centre by car from Swords?

(Say from the Pavillion Shopping Centre to O'Connell Bridge, for argument's sake.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

If you leave at 7.45 you should be at O'Connel bridge for 9 easy.

You'll get faster and cut that by about 20 mins when you discover the rat runs and less used roads.
    I'm not going to tell you about them though or they'll be chocabloc in no time :)

Figure them out and keep them to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

If you wanted to be there for 9 in the morning, id suggest leaving at 7.30 if you are going on a bus as santry can be quite congested, if you are early you have time for a coffee in butlers. If you want to be there for 12 at night id say leave at 11.

i thought you wanted the time by car?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I wanted to know for both. I'm not proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Would you consider going via Howth Junction or some other DART station?
    The 230 bus goes between Dublin Airport and Portmarnock, via Swords village.

Note: I don't live anywhere near Swords, I am just promoting public transport. [I either cycle 9 miles to work or get two trains]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

daymobrew wrote:

Note: I don't live anywhere near Swords, I am just promoting public transport. [I either cycle 9 miles to work or get two trains]

you could go via belfast either ;)

I am agnostic as regards transport mode. Rail would be fine, but it doesn't sound like it would be much faster, or like it would be a fun journey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i wouldn't trust the 230 bus. if you wanted to get the dart (i would not recommend this if you're heading to the city centre) drive to malahide early and try and park there.

remember it's a big difference betting the bus from the first stop after the pavilllions (roundabout) then from glen ellan or glassmore. add an extra 10-15 mins if you're going to be getting on at the first stop.

41X is a good bet. however, 9am around d'olier street. hmm, you could be cutting if fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Iób

Buses to Swords are an ordeal.

I would probably cycle to malahide and get the train. You'll get a seat on the Dart. Advice not to trust the 230 bus is correct. Very unreliable and infrequent.

Fastest in rush hour is probably cycling the whole way. About 45 minutes but not pleasant.

remember it's a big difference betting the bus from the first stop after the pavilllions (roundabout) then from glen ellan or glassmore. add an extra 10-15 mins if you're going to be getting on at the first stop.

Hi Kevin and everyone else, thanks, that's very useful.

Why does it take so long to get from the Glen Ellan to the Pavillion? Are all those roads chokkablock? Bloody hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

that's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Use a bike and get there even faster (and get fit at the same time) :)

Hi Kevin and everyone else, thanks, that's very useful.

Why does it take so long to get from the Glen Ellan to the Pavillion? Are all those roads chokkablock? Bloody hell.

Its just the amount of people getting on the bus there.
    The roads are fairly clear there in the mornings.

Its only 10 - 15 minutes drive from Swords to the port tunnel even in heavy traffic. Thats where your troubles begin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Take the metro.

murphaph wrote:
    Take the metro.

I wait for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

I do this commute daily.

It's about a 45 - 50 min drive from my house (applewood village area) to parnell street car park. But, I leave the house at 7:15 and take the back roads to Finglas and drive in through through Glasneven. I arrive at the car park at about 8ish. Generally this route does not get as congested as the port tunnel route, even though it's a bit longer (distance wise)

The 41A (or 41X) are the best busses to get, because they do not go via the airport, which adds several minutes to the journey (especially from swords -> town).

Another possibility is to drive to portmarnock DART station, park there (free parking but fills fast) and take the DART in. It's about a 50 - 60 minute trip total, maybe a bit less. Neighbour does this daily, leaves the house at 7:10 and gets the 7:30 train to pearse. She's at work shortly after 8.

Generally speaking, it's a 50 - 60 minute commute by DART or car if you leave swords by about 7:15ish. Busses will take perhaps 5 - 10 mins longer, but as usual for Dublin bus are horribly inconsistent, arrive late and sometimes never even show up. Many of the busses are often full by the time they get to swords main street, so it's important where you will be getting on.

Leaving any later than 7:20 - 7:30 will mean a 70 - 90 mins in a car, or a full DART car park. Bus times would be similar 70 - 90 mins.

My personal preference would be car, DART and then bus. But obviously car and DART both require a car.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

daymobrew wrote:

I wouldn't recommend this as even the trip to Malahide on this bus takes about 15-30 minutes depending on the traffic, is unpredictable, and doesn't match in very well with the DART timetable.

It would also add the price of the bus fare to the cost - not really worth it unless you are going southside on the DART route.

Advertisement