Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superstitions

Options
  • 30-03-2005 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭

Alright some of you might think this is a stupid thread, well maybe it is, but i just want to know for what reasons might you not back a horse?

My response is i dont back blinkered horses, or grey horses. Another one which my father relys on is a horse that ****s in the parade ring never wins. So what other ones do you have??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Ah yes....

These are not quite superstitous but are just as strange. If I've been beaten in two photo finishes and for the next race im torn between two horses....the one that I decide to back will be leading after the final fence and get beaten....then of course the one that I didnt back will win by half the track. This my friends, is fact. I've long believed that I don't deserve to win money, Cheltenham being case in point...A pub competition that I lose by ten points (10 for a win, 5 for 2nd etc) I had arcalis on day one but crossed him out while I was ringing in my selections, I did this with fota island and Penznanze too. I was told before Penzanze ran his final race before Chelt to get on him in the triumph now at 12-1 cause he would win today and be subsequently shorter..lovely I said so i backed him for the day when he won at 11-8 and then when it came to Friday during Cheltenham week...did I back him? God no, I was taken in my the flood of mney for akilak....Let me say now that these are not hard luck stories, the ones everyone hates, this is just stupidity. Having five out of five in a placepot and going for refinement in the last when you have backed missed that and de soto each way....more stupidity? Surely 2nd last year and fallon on board this year....ok enough!!!

Superstition.....If the dog is sitting in one corner of the room when two of my horses win he'll be dragged back to that corner for the next race.

I'll never back a female amateur on the flat claiming more than 5. Superstition? Ah who knows.

I'll never back a horse that J.P. Magnier is on. Superstition? God no, look at the size of him...pegasus couldnt get him around. (Rhinestone Cowboy was a horse I liked, still never backed him)

I think I may just be dipping into my own rules here Healio so I apologise if i'm going off topic but this was a good thread...I'll add a few more that could be looked at from a certain angle as being superstitious.

I don't back horses on a Monday or Tuesday unless there's good racing.

I don't go into after 1 on a Saturday.

I hate evening meetings in the summer.

Timmy Murphy is a super jockey. Until my money is with him.

A horse that has been backed from 10s into 3s will immediately go back to 7/2...4...as soon as I back him.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Another i thought of, I never back the best turned out horse.

Advertisement