Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete Cycling Newbie

Options
  • 29-03-2005 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Im going to take up cycling for the summer. I plan on getting a whole lot of fresh air and getting fit so I figure its the best idea.

SO.. Can you all give me tips on how to start doing it properly and safely?
    Im on a majorly tight budget which makes things interesting. Im hoping to get me hands on a very low spec racing bike for around the €250 mark. Ridiculous or possible??

A pair of cycling shorts and a decent top, and I should be on the road! I need all the advice you all can give me :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Can anyone point me in the right direction for looking for a second hand bike?? Ive a feeling from reading through all the cycling posts here that I'll have to go the second hand route.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

www.buyandsell.ie can be useful for second hand bikes.
    I'm not into the road bike side, so I can't really give any advice on what is actually a good bargain. But if you find one that you like the sound of, post it up and someone here will prob offer an opinion on it

KR

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Newbie,

I was in your position last year, 'haven't looked back since. Glad I got into it. You may have to factor in more costs than just the bike, jersey and shorts. Get yourself a decent helmet, possibly toe clips for pedals (you may buy cycling specific shoes and pedals after a few months), a basic pump, couple of spare tubes and as we're in Ireland a rain top. Any sports to will do for this though.

Buy and sell is probably your best bet, along with local bike shops for a 2nd hand racer. I think the sport is fairly popular with Lance and all that at the mo, consequently 2nd hand bikes are picked up pretty quickly.

I buy all my gear from www.probikekit.com - bike shops in Ireland are ridiculously expensive for gear.

P.

Cheers HappyGoose!

I got a price of €450 for this one in a local shop

Saracen Tour Spec

Saracen Tour Photo

Waterford, where I am, has a couple of clubs I think, but only 2 cycle shops from what I can gather. I asked in one shop what the cheapest new bike Id get would be and he said €750. Whereas the other shop said Id get the one above for €450. Is there something sub-standard about the 450 one?

Im wary of buying second hand because I wouldnt know if I was being screwed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

Try getting in contact with your local clubs. Its quite possible that somebody there will have a good second hand bike that they would sell on to an interested newbie. Happens all the time in MTBing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

Trotter wrote:
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for looking for a second hand bike?? Ive a feeling from reading through all the cycling posts here that I'll have to go the second hand route.

Check out my posts regarding my bike for sale. Search under the for sale general section for mountain bike and let me know if its what you need. Its wwell within your budget too...

edit:
    Here is what your looking for.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=235349

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Trotter wrote:
    Cheers HappyGoose!

Saracen Tour Spec

Saracen Tour Photo

you know what, that bike looks ok.

The frame is probably decent - and you can upgrade as need demands on top of that. I got my first bike for 100 punt and raced it. It was an absolute heap - point being that comfort and reliability are more important that flash carbon and deep section rims.

Be concious though that repairs will be ongoing and you should take those opportunities to upgrade where budget permits - that will be depend on your using the bike - which if stuff is breaking you will be using it!

I saw your post yesterday and my thoughts were 'oh sh1t - where do I start!'

that remains the case ;)

uberwolf wrote:
    I saw your post yesterday and my thoughts were 'oh sh1t - where do I start!'
    that remains the case ;)

Ya know what.. those were my exact thoughts before I posted here yesterday lol But.. cheers lads, Im now slightly more informed. Stick with me, this could be a long but fruitful journey on my quest from Newbiedom.

Uberwolf.. Any idea why one shop said dont buy a bike for less than 750? The Saracen was recommeded by another shop because I told them its something I just want to try out and see how I take to it. Even 450 is a push, but seen as ya think its not overly the dutch gold of racers, I might consider it further. I just dont want to turn up at a cycling club and say, well no, I dont have a bike yet!

Anyways, Id like to just go for a few short 10 miler spins first to see how I get on. When I know I have the fitness to keep up with the worst lad in a club, then I'll consider it! :)

it's all do to with the various perceptions of what is required of a bike that'll stand up to the abuse.

The long and short is the figures are made up, there is no threshold.

You do absolutely get what you pay for.

If you pay less for the bike then you will end up paying more in upkeep. You should see this as an opportunity though; in some respects. If a part wears out or breaks you see it's important - you upgrade it when replacing and that part will give less trouble.

I'm afraid you could spend a fortune and be disappointed.
    A mate of mine spent nearly 2k on a pair if wheels to realise within 2 weeks that they simply weren't upto the demands Irish roads were making of them!

Being comfortable is going to be key to your enjoying it. I'd hope that at €450 the bike would be capable of lasting, and shimano products are good. My first MTB cost me £500 and my first ever win was on that bike. Spend what you can. But don't expect it to end there ;):(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Trotter,

Late or end of racing season is the time to pick up a good road bike. The dealers and distributers are often looking to offload end of line products before the new stock arrives.

Buy or borrow cheap to get started. Do the mileage. Be sure you want to spent the bucks.

I acquired a trek 1500 end of last season for 33% off because it was the last one, and I could afford to wait as I had a 20 year old 531 frame. But I ended up buying a 1500 for the price of a 1000.

I been cycling happy since.

• Advertisement

roadmanmad wrote:
    Trotter,

Late or end of racing season is the time to pick up a good road bike. The dealers and distributers are often looking to offload end of line products before the new stock arrives.

Cheers roadmanmad. When does the season start / end? Whats your opinion on the Saracen Tour I posted about earlier?

season is typically march - sept.

pick up a cycling mag in a shop, flick through some of the ads - they very often have previous season bikes going for half nothing...

Trotter,

I'd be inclined to go with the saracen. You can spend an endless amount of money on a bike but at the end of the day you're just getting into the sport and it is a pasttime, not worth taking out a second mortgage on. There's a real element of risk buying a second had bike, whereas you've a bit of comeback buying from a dealer. Get him to throw in a service after 4/6 weeks, most bike shops offer this, and its needed - brake cables and gear cables need to be tightened etc. I wouldn't spend money upgrading the bike. Cycle it for a season and then if you get 'the bug' and wish to upgrade you'll get €300 for it second hand next year.

If you put clipless pedals on it you could transfer to a new bike.

Can I suggest you get a 'track pump'? Argos - €16, can't go wrong. Punctures are demoralising.

Try and get out on your own for a few weeks before meeting up with a club. Cyclinging solo is far tougher than in a group, it'll stand to ya when you do meet up with other cyclists...and build the miles up gradually.

I'm starting to waffle.....other posters...let me know what ya think, P.

If you want to see a rake of postings by people in your position have a look at www.bikeforums.net (think thats the URL).

Cheers happygoose, thats exactly the kind of info Im lookin for, you too Uberwolf.

I found a company in Sheffield, UK that will do the new 2005 saracen tour for £269 + delivery. I think I'll wander into a bike shop, jump up on any bike and see what frame size fits, and order it from the UK. That would work out about €40 cheaper.

The other option is to get a quote from the UK company and bring it in to the local shop and see will they match the price.

Either way it seems to be a decent starter bike anyways.

I'd be inclined to go to the local bike shop, and ask him to include a free service, that way you wouldn't be loosin' out on €40 altogether. If you do buy the bike from the internet you will have to get it serviced after 4/6 weeks so you'll have to splash out on that.

Your decision!!! Good luck with it anyway,

P.

happygoose wrote:
    I'd be inclined to go to the local bike shop, and ask him to include a free service, that way you wouldn't be loosin' out on €40 altogether. If you do buy the bike from the internet you will have to get it serviced after 4/6 weeks so you'll have to splash out on that.

P.

the other thing to bear in mind is that you can develop a relationship with a shop who will look after you on price thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Lidl will be seeling a lot of bicycle accessories next Thursday. Might be handy for a beginner.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20050407.index

Cheers puck, It looks like decent stuff alright. I think a trip to Lidl on thursday is required alright.

Well my trip to Lidl was a success! I got a cycling top, shorts, a jacket, repair kit, lights, speedometer, and gloves. Not bad for €57.

All I need now is a bike! :D The Saracen Tour still isnt in stock in my local shop.

Trotter wrote:

Saracen Tour Spec

Saracen Tour Photo

Just about to buy the Saracen when I came across this one for the same price..
    Claud Butler San Remo

Could anyone that helped me out in the last few weeks compare these and tell me which you think would be a better buy? Im hoping to get either of them for €430.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RayJ1

Trotter,

Just been reading your posts. I was in your position a couple of years ago. Both bikes seem to be aimed at entry level cyclists.

Claude Butler are a very respected mountain bike although I don't know much about their road bikes.

Just check around for the price of a Trek 1000. You may get a very good sale price and its a great bike for a newbie. I think you might get it for €570. OK it's a bit more than you said but probably worth it if you compared the spec. I trained on one for years and have even raced on it.

Alot of cyclists have 2 bikes so what you could do is see how much you like the sport and possibly trade up in the future.

You are starting to cycle at the best time of year where you don't need that much gear. If you keep going through the Summer to the Autumn, be prepared to have to spend more money when the weather gets poor. Overshoes, gloves, Jackets, leg warmers, arm warmers, hats are all required.

Finally, I know a number of people who have started since I did and have been absolutely gripped by cycling. Try and join a club. It's far more fun and you put far more miles in with a lot less effort.

RayJ

Advertisement