Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triple Booting??

Options
  • 29-03-2005 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi people I ordered a German Laptop when it comes I want to reinstall windows to have it in English, I want to also install Mandrake 10.1 Linux and possibly Windows Longhorn,
    Is it possible to "triple boot" all three and is so how would u reccommend I partition my hard drive
    I have 80gb space
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yes it is.

install however many windows installations you think you'll need, starting with the oldest first (i.e. XP) then Longhorn, or indeed a few more XP's (windows xp allows you to install as many times as you like as long as you have the HD space). 10gb each I'd say is reasonable for XP and Longhorn, assuming you're not installing every app under the sun, 20gb max if you're planning on lots of stuff.

the trick is to partition for what you need for each as you're going.

personally, I'd use partition magic or similar to sort out my ntfs partitioning (at least for windows) before i started, then let mandrake take care of the linux partitions as they are a little bit more complicated than windows. again 10-20gb for mandrake should be fine too.

keep the rest for cross platform data storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

Triple Booting is no trouble at all. You just need to be methodical in how you go about the installations.

I'd install XP Pro first as usual.
    I'd then install Longhorn. Bare in mind that a 2nd boot entry will appear in the "XP Pro "first install!" for booting Longhorn.

Then install Mandrake. I believe "lilo" is the default boot manager for mandrake and if install in the MBR it will pick up the XP and Longhorn OSes also.

You should then have a boot menu to select either 3 OSes.

When your trying it and if you are having probs just ask and there are several persons here who can be more specific.

osmethod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MikeB

osmethod wrote:
    Triple Booting is no trouble at all. You just need to be methodical in how you go about the installations.

I'd install XP Pro first as usual.
    I'd then install Longhorn. Bare in mind that a 2nd boot entry will appear in the "XP Pro "first install!" for booting Longhorn.

Then install Mandrake. I believe "lilo" is the default boot manager for mandrake and if install in the MBR it will pick up the XP and Longhorn OSes also.

You should then have a boot menu to select either 3 OSes.

When your trying it and if you are having probs just ask and there are several persons here who can be more specific.

osmethod

ok thanks that's a great help can't wait to get my laptop now! its a gericom 1st supersonic

Advertisement