Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingspan V's Low-E Insulation?

Options
  • 29-03-2005 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

We have a standard 3 bed semi and are currently getting quotes to have our attic converted. So far we have had CHI (atticconversions.ie) quote us €19,506, and a local builder has quoted us €15,500. The only main difference we can see between the two are that CHI use Kingspan insulation and the other guy uses Low-E, is Low-E of the same standard of kingspan?
    I would appreciate any info on the stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

Hi Skibum,

I can't answer your question on the insulation. Was wondering if you're attic conversion includes a bathroom. 19,000 Euro is pretty expensive.

Dopey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

The differences are easy enough to work out you need the actual product proposed to compare the cost, I know kingspan produce a wide range of products some with foil facing some with felt facing and some with no facing.

The questions you want to ask both contractors is the U Value of the insulation and the thickness, insulation board especially on a retrofit should have a space of 50 mm between the back of the board and the roof covering.

That said the insulation alone would not be likely to cause a difference of €4,000.00 on one attic conversion.

The prices appear to be in the ball park for the type of job you describe, the difference could be in the overall finishing details.

Did you supply all tendering contractors with a specification / a written description of the finish you require and the materials to be used ?

The chances are like most people you are trusting the contractor to understand your requirements, the only way to compare the true quotes is to supply each contractor with a plan and specification.

While the difference is a lot of money I can assure you that there are contractors who will quote from 12 > 25,000.00 for what can appear to be the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

skibum,
    any chance you could attach/PM the quotes you got (minus your personal address details and such other info!).
    We are thinking of getting our attic done and soon, have a very large attic with old beams so loads of room and no major truss work to be done. We'd like to get PP and have it as a legitimate room. But just to be able to have a look at two quotes would be a great help for us.
    thanks

M.

Advertisement