Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eu or not-eu?

Options
  • 29-03-2005 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

Recently my sister bought a car and she immediately went insurance hunting. One company who I wont mention here, gave her a really good quote and she proceeded to take it. It has been two weeks since the forms went to the company, plenty of time to process and do what's necessary. Only this morning when she contacted them to see where is the hold up, they requested a proof of residency.

Ok. This was stated on the original letter which asked what documents were needed.
    Proof of residency (ONLY required from non-EU licence holders) copy one of the ...
    A little history, both my sister and myself have been living in Ireland since 1991, been educated here, have Irish nationality, passports, etc. so she saw no need for this to be included. The application form was sent in with all the relevant information and documentation (prov. driving licence).

Is this really necessary and does it have anything to with the name on the application form which prompted the company to ask for proof of residency. Does that make her non-EU even though she's been a naturalised Irish citizen for quite some time?

If the mods feel that this thread belongs somewhere else, please move it. I just want some clarification on the matter.

-adnans

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Not quite following ... she is an Irish citizen (passport etc) but she has a non-EU driving licence? Where is the driving licence from?

To be honest it doesn't sound like that big a deal, if she has a non-EU driving license that is why this flag has been hit. These things are all done with computers spread over departments. The fact she doesn't have a driving license from the EU triggered a response where the application was processed that was probably sent to another department that then processes non-EU driving licenses. This probably can't be overruled by the person opening the application just because you sent in have a copy of the passport. You would be surprised about how fixed down these types of processes are. No one wants to go outside the process because they have to take responsibility for it from then on.

Just send in a copy of the passport with an ESB bill or something with the address on it.

I wouldn't say it has anything to do with her name (I assume it is foreign sounding)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

My brother had to prove residency too as he had an american driver license. Fifth generation Dublin let alone Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

My brother had to prove residency too as he had an american driver license. Fifth generation Dublin let alone Irish.

Its very difficult if you present foreign documents let alone non-EU ones for obtaining things like and age card or what not...

Born in London 1981 to Irish parents, left London 1981, 16 years later and when I go for my passport, My birthcert, both my parents birthcerts and my parents certificate of marraige was required (parents seperated for a long time, document was probably burned in a voodoo ritual curse)...

*boggle*

I don't think it is that big a deal TBH ... your brother and the OP sister don't have Irish driving licenses that prove they a resident in Ireland so all they have to do is send something in that does. The insurence company don't know your brother is 5th generation Dublin by his driving license, but as soon as he sends in something that shows he is, I doubt he would have any real problem

This is a bit of a non issue to me. Yes it is annoying, but that is life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Sorry guys you missed my point. It's not a big deal is what I meant. I don't think it has anything to do with your name Adnans just documentation issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Wicknight wrote:
    Not quite following ... she is an Irish citizen (passport etc) but she has a non-EU driving licence? Where is the driving licence from?
    Irish provisional driving licence. Her first one. Both of us grew up in Ireland and after 15 years here, still some issues regarding whether we're Irish citizens or not, albeit from an insurance company who are only trying to cut back on fraud I guess. and yes the name is foreign sounding.

She's sent in the relevant documentation, so it's not really a problem there.

-adnans

adnans wrote:
    Irish provisional driving licence. Her first one.

Ok now even more confused.

She sent in an Irish provisional driving licence to apply for insurance and they asked her for proof of residiency? If that is the case then yes there seems to be a bit of dodgy discrimination going on there. If you have an irish driving licence there is little reason for them to believe you are not resident here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well to be honest it depends on your name :(

I am sure if your sisters name was Mary O'Brien this would not be the case.
    a Friend of mine who's great Granny came for Veitnam still has issues despite the fact her granny, mammy annd herslef were born here and are irish citcens.
    The fact that they have retained thier families naming tradtion causes problems
    which is appaling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement