Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New windows

Options
  • 29-03-2005 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently planning a kitchen extension (at the design stage, pre builder)and need to choose windows/doors There will be 2 large windows and a set of french doors. I dont really like the look of PVC (my sister had a new front door fitted and it didnt feel too solid, but I also am not a big fan of the plain UPVC white/wood effect window effect either). I have seen a number of new apartments etc go up with what looks like aluminium windows/doors and they look well. Anyone have any experience with these windows/doors? I know timber frame is an option, but again price is an issue (I have seen the other threads on here about hugely expensive Rationel windows (I have the Sweedex brochure). I am on a tight budget so any indication as to a rough price would be great. I will probably get some other of the back windows changed at the same time as the house it incredibly breezy (it has circa 30 yr old alumium/steel frame 'double glazing', or wind tunnels - a light breeze blasts through them!!),

Thanks

Jack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭jack24

No one ever came across these windows? Saw a place near Finglas on the web called Harmon Vinduer who use aluminium clad wooden frames, anyone ever used this crowd?

Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Hey Jack,

I delt with Harmon Vindeur, I was looking for sash windows which they don't do, but they were really helpfull and their windows look really good. As for price I couldn't really say, but I heard they were reasonable for the alu clad compared to others.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Jack24,

Have you had a chance to see these windows up close, they may just be standard aluminium window construction.

Or they may be aluminium clad timberframe windows. I have come across these briefly. The whole concept of design here is to offer you a maintainence free window, from a surface finish point of view. There is no such thing as a totally maintainence free window at the moment. Even the rubber gaskets used in aluminium and pvc windows, are prone to shrinking after a few years, and may need to be replaced.

These windows are constructed from timber that has an aluminium envelope around the section.

If cost is an issue for you at the moment, I would expect these windows to be in the same price range as Rationel, considering basically the same finished article. Rationel windows are expensive , because of a number of things. Mainly the quality of timber used being the most important. They use only first grades sourced from Scandinavian countries. This is by far the best quality pine available, being no 1 grade. The best grade timber we can expect from Irish sources is no 4. You cannot even import no 1 grade from these countries. So you are getting a superior quality raw materials. Their use of dry glazing methods, clip in beads, superior in weatherproofing, and double or triple rebates for draught proofing, also increases the price in relation to standard window construction.

So if cost is a main criteria, the cheapest option at the moment is probably upvc windows.

kadman :)

Thanks Wobs/Kadman,

I'm planning an extension at the back of the house (north facing) so am going to be using a lot of glazing to drag some light in. Like the look of these windows, and definetly dont like the bog standard UPVc windows. Cost is an issue (isnt it always), and typically the best suited (apart from wooden frame) is this alu clad type. I think I may have seen them out in the Dublin door store in Ballyfermot. For wooden windows I think Rationel is out of my price league, I have heard decent things re Wrights window systems and Munster joinery, so I may check them out. Swedex/Marvin appear to be the same sort of price as Rationel I think. Any other views would be welcome (especially from anyone with a north facing rear who has done a single story extension - we plan a lean to tiled roof with 3 large velux, again to get more light in)

Cheers

Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Hi Jack,

The Harmon Vinduer are the good quality Scandinavian wood as Kadman described, probably near the same price as Rationel, can't be sure myself as didn't deal with Rationel. As far as I've heard Swedex would not be as good quality as they source their windows from more than one country, mainly eastern europe I think.

Others that do the alu clad are Anderson and Lowen, I am getting quotes from both but reckon they will both be in the HV/Marvin bracket.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I havent got around to specifying the windows yet, so no sense in me asking anyone for ballpark prices, just wanted to see if they were ultra expensive. Anyone have any experience of Munster joinery/WWS?

Cheers

Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dconwho

Whatever you do, make sure you go for the windows with the glazing bead reversed for security. This means that the pane can only be removed from the inside. I had a break in whereby the intruder simply removed the pane fully intact to gain entry.

Advertisement