Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widescreen Tv

Options
  • 29-03-2005 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

This maybe a simple enough question but is Widescreen tv a tv that can show 16:9 format without loosing out the edges or is there a better definition of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

That's right. As far as I know there are only 2 ratios for tube size (or flat panel) - 4:3 "normal" or 16:9 widescreen. however much telly is broadcast in a compromise ratio of 14:9 which does not proplerly fit anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

One thing I've always wondered - in the future will 16:9 always be broadcast in the compressed 4:3 format to be stretched out again upon recieving it, or will an actual wide image be broadcast to be shown as recieved, as 4:3 is at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

RTE wrote:
    One thing I've always wondered - in the future will 16:9 always be broadcast in the compressed 4:3 format to be stretched out again upon recieving it, or will an actual wide image be broadcast to be shown as recieved, as 4:3 is at the minute?

It depends how you define stretched! You could also say that a 4:3 picture is stretched horizontally!

A widescreen picture has rectangular pixels. With HDTV, I believe they will have square pixels, and more of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

Slightly off topic but I see that Dunnes are selling a 17" lcd including dvd for € 449.00.

It doesn't say that it is widescreen on the box but it does say that it can display 4:3 format and 16:9.

The make is Maxim (which I have never heard off).

Does anyone know if it is a widescreen lcd and if it would be worth getting ??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well from the description "can display 4:3 format and 16:9 format" could mean anything, since 4:3 tvs can display 16:9 content, albeit in letterbox format.

But most LCD TVs these days are widescreen. Of course the surest way to find out is to call into Dunnes and look at it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I've seen that 17" in Dunnes and yes, it IS widescreen. I also had a look at the instruction booklet and it can play jpegs and mp3s.

The one thing that put me off it was that they were playing a DVD on it (Shrek 2, as there seems to be some kind of law that ALL DVD players must be demonstrated by showing an animated movie), and the picture was awful !

I could understand if it was a TV station, and you could justify the bad picture as bad reception, but an integrated DVD player should be perfect. It looked way too sharp - the writing in the fairy tale book was hard to read.

I'd say it's the fault of the screen itself, in which case everything that you'd watch would suffer the same bad quality.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

Have you guys heard of Maxim, I looked for to see if there is a 3 digit code for the tv and I can't find it. No real point in getting the tv if I can't get the sky remote control code.

I checked the following sites with no joy:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/digicode.htm

http://www.xdiv.com/remotes/

Pity that sky don't have a page with all the codes for all tv brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I wouldn't really trust an LCD TV from Maxim to begin with. They are just one of those generic el-cheapo companies. It is probably some generic TV made in a factory in the middle of China who lots of these companies take and put their own badge on. I'm sure I have seen a TV just like this with a different name too. The same happens with cheap DVD players.

About finding remote codes, often you may not find information for many of the names the identical product is sold under. But you may for others. Unfortunatly, I don't know what other names it is sold under, or who the original manufacturer is likely to be. Maybe some A/V forum may be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 marksi

If you are buying a cheap LCD TV, you may want to make sure it's 16:9 and not 15:9. I kid you not. If it's a cheap import with a panel which was originally designed for PC use you may well find it's 15:9. There's certainly a Humax 15:9 LCD TV which cuts the sides off.

Advertisement