Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another big earthquake in Indonesia.

• 28-03-2005 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

"The tsunami warning centre, which recorded the quake as 8.5, said the earthquake could cause a "widely destructive tsunami" and authorities should take "immediate action".

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1176235,00.html

'I heard my neighbours screaming'

The quake struck between the Sumatran cities of Padang and Medan at around 2315 local time (1615 GMT) and lasted up to three minutes, said Ramlan of Indonesia's Meteorological and Geophysics Office.

Power blackouts and major panic ensued, local officials told AFP news agency.

The quake was felt across the region with people in the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur, some 500km away, evacuating high-rise buildings and running out into the streets.

"I was getting ready for bed, and suddenly, the room started shaking," said Kuala Lumpur resident Jessie Chong.

"I thought I was hallucinating at first, but then I heard my neighbours screaming and running out."

Thailand, which was also hit by the 26 December disaster, has issued an tsunami alert.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

"Unlucky"

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,955 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Tsunamis/Earthquakes make such boring news. Heres for another 9/11 to get excited about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You bastard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Tsunamis/Earthquakes make such boring news. Heres for another 9/11 to get excited about.
    Sick man Sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Pfff, I;m upset, no one was horrified by my "Unlucky" comment.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Raptor

Hugh, tasteless doesn't even being to describe such a comment. And aren't you the guy who's spent the last few days whinning over on games about how you posted on a new board and that they didn't like you. With such a comment designed to get a "knee-jerk" reaction what do you expect? Well, add 1 to that list of people who think you're a jerk.

Back on topic, at this stage they has been no conformation of an earthquake - however reactions of local people to the news break could itself cause complications.

Just read on sky news that "Thailand, Sri Lanka and India have withdrawn tsuami warnings and advised people to return to their homes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

There was an earthquake, but there was no major tsunami, a 10 cm one hit the Cocos Islands but thats about it. They were lucky this time.

Yeah and Hugh, joke or not that post still makes you an as$hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

its a symptom of how people have become desensitised to disasters thanks to our modern day sensationalist tabloid media. still an out-of-line comment though.

It is a good thing that there was no tsunami this time around, they were lucky, but then that is no consolation to the 2,000 people who are feared to have lost their lives or their families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,057 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah.. that comment was very real fu*king insensitive, Hugh!

Anyone of us could have lost families or friends in the tsunami's / earthquakes / 9-11 and it's comments like that which can really dig at and upset some of the sufferer's who might be browsing the Boards.

Seriously.. try thinking of it's consequences for others before posting such comments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Yeah.. that comment was very real fu*king insensitive, Hugh!

Anyone of us could have lost families or friends in the tsunami's / earthquakes / 9-11 and it's comments like that which can really dig at and upset some of the sufferer's who might be browsing the Boards.

Seriously.. try thinking of it's consequences for others before posting such comments!

hmm... I genuinely can't tell if this is serious or tongue in cheek. I suppose given the tone of the thread it's probably the former.

a pity...it'd be clever otherwise :(

Advertisement