Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Windows 2000 on laptop

Options
  • 28-03-2005 12:15pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not a strange request but cd drive not working and no floppy. Its running win2000k at the moment. Can I put the complete cd on a hard drive and run it from there? It's on a wireless network at the moment can I do it over the network....? Thanks. I can also leave original os on but loads of crap on it slowing it down....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Raideneire

I've done this with NT4 but not with 2000, i'm guessing it'll work the same.

You should be able to copy the 'I386' folder to the HDD of the machine and run setup from there, all the files needed are in this folder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Thanks Raideneire

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Borderfox wrote:
    Not a strange request but cd drive not working and no floppy. Its running win2000k at the moment. Can I put the complete cd on a hard drive and run it from there? It's on a wireless network at the moment can I do it over the network....? Thanks. I can also leave original os on but loads of crap on it slowing it down....
    Yes you it's possible to install windows 2000 from the copied folder, but if it's not the original OS you would need a valid 2000 license too. If it is a branded OEM CD then it most likley won't work on any other brand of PC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Thanks Capt'n Midnight, I have a valid license for it not oem...

Advertisement