Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

biochemistry in ul

Options
  • 26-03-2005 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

hey

is this course any good i put it down as first choice on the cao.is there much work needed for? it is it hard?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Somebody should have done some research.

Havnt a clue if its hard or not, never heard of it before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Peteee wrote:
    Somebody should have done some research.

Havnt a clue if its hard or not, never heard of it before

solid post there Pete. Good input. I'm sure the OP is glad you decided to tell him/her that you dont know wtf the course if like :)

happy €aster ya m00k!

Well somebody had to say something. We dont want poor Brendygg doing a course that he/she/it dosent like.

I suggest getting one of the prospectuses that the college hands out to schools, this will at least list the subjects that you'll be doing (i'm sure biology and chemistry 101 will pop up there somewhere) but really it wont tell you anything (I mean, i dont think i was the only one to have the wrong idea of systems analysis)

gl anyway, UL is a class place

Kaimera, if your going to post somet, at least post something constructive!!!!!!

Also, BLOG MEH

Happy easter to you too, thanks for replying to the text, I thought the joke was quite the funny one, but obviously you couldnt be bothered texting, will tlk to yas tomorrow.

/me listens to 4th movement of the odyssey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

rofl.
    I did text ya back fs..and i r in teh process of blogging you...was kinda wasted sunday :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

(take it to pm)

:rolleyes: ;)

Biochemistry. all i can say is that it's very difficult. you're expected to know/learn all these massive pathways which are just big lists of how chemicals in bodies get transferred from one thing to another.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Handbags at 30 paces tongue.gif

Back on topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 car_girl

in alot of lectures with the bio chem's-
    it's a really good course-lots of jobs etc.
    Small enough class of about 20ish usually
    Has a fair bit of maths in it but wouldn't worry too much about that if your anyway ok at it now. Do alot of Analytical chemistry aswell so you have a good few labs every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭smidgy

This is my advice, if you go to college whatever you do, dont do science.

I am a science chemistry graduate (of 5 years) and many of my friends have come through science with me. We all share this same opinion. We have come through and learned the hard way, what a waste of my time and effort. The sector is seriously underpaid, you will be working in some stinking lab somewhere and they wont give a jot about ya. The government promotes science/chemistry/bio as a cheap labour force for the american pharmaceutical companies that locate here. Youll come out with the hundreds of other grads from the other universities and you'll be a dime a dozen. You'll then climb a salary scale which will ensure that you dont drive a decent car till you are 35. There are better courses with better prospects. I dont want to dash your hopes and aspirations but trust me, its a waste of your efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

its a toughie alright, but if thats what you like. I did Introductory Biochemistry in my first year as a module, and the whole class was so bad, i managed a C thanks to the curve, and i did awful. But sure i guess if you like Chemistry and stuff you wont find it too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 36 redalert2

What??!! Chemistry graduates are the highest paid in the whole of UL!!

If you like biology, chemistry and maths, do the course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 car_girl

when you do IND bio chem in ul you do coop-and you have better job prospects afterwards thanks to your industrial placement which will be an advantage over those who do science in other colleges and don't have the industrial experience! ;)
    At the moment the demand for graduates outweighs the supply and the money is good.
    And as for Smidgy "You'll then climb a salary scale which will ensure that you dont drive a decent car till you are 35" WHAT???
    It's not my experience-the complete oppsite..... At the end of the day it all depends on the individual in the job..........
    If you want to do Bio Chem do it-great course-great job prospects :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭smidgy

redalert2 wrote:
    What??!! Chemistry graduates are the highest paid in the whole of UL!!

Chemical Engineering graduates get excellent money, the same is not true for chemistry graduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 redalert2

Industrial chemistry graduates also get great jobs and money!! i know a few of them! what the hell kind of course did u do!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

well

thanks for the info
    as for petee i did do my research just wondering what people thought of it not prospectus and ul.ie. ill do it any sure **** it i cud being doing worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 darque

...I'll be doing ind biochem this year too! Got me place last year but deferred it for a year to do art...looking forward to next year though...looks to be a fairly decent course, a friend of mine started last year, she reckons tis a bit hard alright but very interesting...

Brendygg wrote:
    well

thanks for the info
    as for petee i did do my research just wondering what people thought of it not prospectus and ul.ie. ill do it any sure **** it i cud being doing worse.

Cool, well if you get it enjoy!

hey

hopefully will see u dere in september. booked into kilmurry and alls sorted. cant wait to finish LC n go to ul.hope the points dont go up 40 more like they did last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 darque

...yeah for sure....on seeing ya there and the points, damn like, that's a pretty steep jump, a few people I knew missed out last year cause of that! So glad I got me place already, tis secure...phew...i be booked into plassey...couldn't afford anywhere else lol...era, tis all good as they say...

sure id say there all the same my brother stayed in plassey and he said it was good :D will have to start studying cause if they go up to 470 .......i dont want to even think about it :eek:

Advertisement