Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem connecting to internet

Options
  • 24-03-2005 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi people I am having trouble going online with my laptop, I am able to connect to my utv clicksilver broadband or pigsback dial up accounts, but when i am connected all my programmes like firefozx and I.Explorer and even media player, act like they are not online.
    With the internet browsers they wont surf any pages, on I.Explorer it just comes back with the usual error screen and firefox remains blank with done at the bottom left,
    I thought it might have been to do with my firewall, Zonealarm so i deleted that but it did'nt help.
    Can anyone help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Did you delete Zonealarm or uninstall it?

Try this. Connect to the internet, then
    Start > Run
    Type cmd (if windows XP) or command (if windows 98). Then type the following line:
    ping www.google.ie

post up what you see. If it says "destination host could not be found", type this in
    ping 66.249.85.99

and post up what it says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dr.Pain

ok it said
    pinging www.1.google.com > with 32 bytes of data
    Reply form 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=245
    Reply form 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=245
    Reply form 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=245
    Reply form 66.102.9.99: bytes=32 time=96ms TTL=245

ping statistics for out:
    Packets: sent =4, recieved = 4 lost = o (0% loss)
    Aprox round trip times in miliseconds:
    Min= 56ms Max=96ms average=67ms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

So your lappie talks to the outside world, good. You using XP or earlier?

If using XP, either do a rollback to the last system save point or, in your CPanel \ Add or Remove programs, select Internet Explorer & the 'repair' option, whichever is most appropriate.

Those are the easy ones, let us know how you get on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dr.Pain

Hiya thanks a million for your help,
    My laptop does have xp so I just did a system restore and that worked perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

Sounds like a DNS server issue? If it happens again check that you have the right DNS servers entered in the TCP/IP control panel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement