Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Successfully painting over biro on wall

Options
  • 24-03-2005 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Any magic solution to painting over a biro mark on the wall. Using white paint so 4 coats later its still visible.

Should it be lightly sanded off?

Thanks for help.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Sas,

Your probably looking for a product similar to this one,

http://www.chaseltd.com/itempage.cfm?item=4190918&add=1

a google search should get you a product in Ireland

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi sas,

I am not sure but Igoe in Dublin Industrial Estate should carry that or a similar products.

There are some very experienced Painters who post here and may have a simpler and less expensive solution for you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Would that stuff remove damp "stains" on a wall also, you know the way a wall goes black from damp but also the black stains on a wall where there is no extractor fan in the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bunker

I would say try nitromors paint remover only use a small amount that might do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Nitromors is very heavy duty paint remover, IMO it would take an expert user to be able to use it sucessfully on a small area.

Igoe have a product for damp stains, it's not cheap but it works, I have seen it used with good results where ceilings were stained because of long term leaks.

Another that might workfor Yop is to clean the walls with Mangers Sugar Soap and apply a coat of oil based undercoat to the wall, then use Eggshell or vinyl silk emulsion.

Where are the Painters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

bunker wrote:
    I would say try nitromors paint remover only use a small amount that might do the trick.

As rooferpete says its for removing paint not dampness.And id go along what advice in past rooferpete has suggested,there must be something creating the dampness?.

Never use nitromors for that.If its a little in a corner then use bleach to remove it but as soon as the sun or light hits it it will grow again(well was told that in tech).There is a product called All Seasons by Dulux(piolite based and dries in 20minutes)this is classed as exterior paint but i have used it on numerous occasions on interior situatios before,it is an oil based product but great for obliterating problems like that but it could only be a cosmetic solution in long run.

Unless you get good ventilation it will always come back.I seen on a programme one time a bathroom had a terrible problem,the damp really dug its heels in and they had to tear down the ceiling plus retile it and provide better ventilation to solve the problem.

Just on a short note as well,sugarsoap is mainly used for removing grease streaks from walls in a kitchen or a ceiling which keeps turning yellow once emulsion is applied(sometimes its quicker to apply oil based products than washing down).This can be from a heavy smoker or from a kitchen with no or little ventilation.Sugarsoap is for removing grease or smoke stains from either walls or woodwork.Or it can be used for general cleaning down as well,but wear gloves it can be nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Got Polycell Stain Stop in local hardware store and it covered the biro perfectly. Also covered water stain on ceiling from a leak upstairs.

Advertisement