Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can YOUR mind perform miracles?

Options
  • 24-03-2005 11:17am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Irish Skeptics Society
    Presents a Lecture Show by

IAN ROWLAND
    the Mind Reader, the Mind Motivator

MIND POWER: FACT, FICTION AND FAKERY

Mind reader and Mind Motivator Ian Rowland presents his dynamic and eye-opening lecture show about powers of the mind both real and not-so-real, Intriguing, utterly unique, thought-provokingly funny and pleasantly weird.

Ian is the author of the highly acclaimed book ‘The Full Facts Book of Cold Reading’ (described by Derren Brown as “the definitive work”, by Teller of Penn and Teller as “a superb book” and by American mentalist Banachek as “by far the best book I have read on the subject”) and has appeared on TV around the world (BBC, ITV, Ch 4, ABC, NBC, Paramount etc). His website is www.ianrowland.com.

The Yeats Room,
    Mont Clare Hotel,
    Merrion Square
    DUBLIN
    Wednesday April 6th
    8.00 p.m.
    Admission €5 (Members €2)
    Tickets on door

“... Rowland has no peer in what he does. I'm not often in awe of a friend; I make an exception in this case”
    James Randi

“A spectacular evening … pretty staggering to watch”
    Oxford University
    Scientific Society

“…"I have now heard from dozens of people in the audience, all of whom said this was one of the most entertaining, informative, and above all FUNNY shows they had ever seen."
    Michael Shermer,
    Skeptic Magazine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Poisonwood

Myksyk ... can I take it that this is not bookable in advance?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Poisonwood wrote:
    Myksyk ... can I take it that this is not bookable in advance?

Unfortunately not. We are therefore advising people to turn up early on the night as there is only a capacity of about 150 in the room and this has (rightly) generated a lot of interest.

It should be a fun night as well as intellectually stimulating.

Just nudging this up the thread list!

At the risk of annoying ye ... don't forget this!!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Do you know if the good Mr Rowland will be flogging copies of his cold reading book on the evening?

Another skeptic has kindly lent me his own copy and I'd like now to get my own one. It doesn't appear to be available either on the UK or the US Amazon sites (is this evidence of a conspiracy?) and I've not bothered to ring up Waterstones or Hodges Figgis, since they're unlikely to have heard of it if the main sites don't have it.

ta,

- robin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

Availability of the book(s) and an indication of Euro pricing would be appreciated.

I'll check this and get back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Availability of the book(s) and an indication of Euro
    > pricing would be appreciated.

I've just spoken with the chap who lent me the book and it's apparently only available from Ian Rowland himself, via this link on his website. The cost is £32 sterling, around €46 or so, and I'd imagine that he might have a few copies with him on the evening, particularly given the amount of fun he's had with some postal services.

As I've not finished reading the book, I can't say much more than, of what I've read so far, the content is interesting + informative and its title, "The Full Facts Book Of Cold Reading", seems to be entirely accurate.

- robin.

Ian says that he doesn't bring books to these events (it's just too much hassle with weight etc). However, the book is available (as Robindch says) on Ian's website and he says he will give a discount code (for 10 or 15%) to those who attend the talk which can be used on his site for about three days after the event. I believe the price Robindch has referred to is correct. Hope this helps.

As well as this special offer, bear in mind that there are very few places, if any, that anyone can get an educational, stimulating and humorous lecture/Show for €5 ... or €2 for you lucky members!!! Spring Madness! :D

• Advertisement

Two days and counting ...tell your friends!

By the by ... should you be thinking of coming, could I encourage you to come early as it really holds things up at the door if everyone starts to arrive together close to the start time.

Circumstances dictated that I couldn't be there but I've heard it was an excellent evening's entertainment. Hope those who went enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

I was there. Excellent. I even odered his book.
    The discount code is 'DUBLIN' in caps.
    I think after that lecture that Irish Skeptics should try to get a hypnotist to give a talk - if they could find one who would do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I'm truly bothered by the linked newspaper rings. That's just impossible :-)

I'm going to order the book too. He didn't do any cold reading last night but if Martin Gardner, Derren Brown and others endorse it, it must be good.

Advertisement