Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nu-lok Roofing system

Options
  • 24-03-2005 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hey,

Saw this roofing system at a show recently. It looks really good, simple to use and cost effective. Has anyone any thoughts on it. Their web site is www.nu-lok.com

Basically it replaces the traditional wooden battens and nails with a metal rail system and hooks. They say you use about 20% less slates and end up with a lighter roof. Less labour and less time etc.

Roofer Pete Im sure you can enlighten me further on the pros and cons.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wobs- I have sent my plans to them twice but no feed back at all, I was talking to them at them at the Galway Build Show and it seems grand, but until I get a costing then I will not know how good it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Yop,

I gave them my plans last week, will let you know when I hear back. Just from talking to the guy he said I'd be looking at about 40 per sq mtr using their ceramic tile or a spanish slate (supply only).

I wouldn't try and do traditional slating myself, but this looks like you could handle it yourself with a bit of guidance. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Wobs,

The system has been tested and carries a lot of approvals from different countries and testing labs, anything I write can only be my personal opinion.

What Do I Like ? :

The ceramic finish is unusual in that it should prevent moss growth.

The speed at which the system can be fitted.

The guide prices we got makes the system appear affordable and better than a lot of similar systems.

What Do I Not Like ? :

The metal lathing system has a typical lifetime of 50 years, in my opinion that is not what we are used to here, also the guide did not mention cuts to the finished metal which could leave the ends open to rusting.

The manner in which the side laps depend on a stip of metal, the strip of metal is replacing the full size slates that when removed show water has tracked across the slate often three to four inches.

The clip system appears to be ok but I would like to see something more substantial in a critical area of the roof, egro the building.

I think the system was designed with the American systems in mind because in the US a lot of their roofing systems depend on the underlay as the primary waterproofing, whereas in Ireland we depend on the roof surface as the primary waterproofing.

Am I convinced it is the best package available ?

No.

Would I fit it on your home ?

Yes if you and your Architect are fully aware of what you are buying.

One of the little things that started the alarm bells ringing for me was not the original ceramic finish but the display where natural slate was being promoted.

I saw this move as a possible start to the lowering of standards because the ceramic finish is man made and therefore the underside that meets the metal strip can be finised to perfection.

Natural slate is cleaved by hand or cut with machinery, either system can leave the back of the slate uneven and less likely to sit as neat to the metal strip as the original ceramic finish.

This can be a bonus when using traditional slating methods as it allows water to flow away instead of creating capillary attraction across the underlying slate.

Would I use it on my own home ?

No.

All of the above are my personal opinions and are not proven by any formal or informal testing procedures.

I hope the above is of some benefit to you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Wobs wrote:
    I wouldn't try and do traditional slating myself, but this looks like you could handle it yourself with a bit of guidance. What do you think?

Hi Yobs,

From first impressions, I would say that you need the same level of skill , for this type of roof covering , as you would for traditional slating. So if you feel slating is demands a high level of skill, I think you should regard this in the same light.

A traditional roofer / slater. has to have an excellent eye for detail, good numerical skills for batten set out, valley formation, excellent appreciation of the proper route to adopt in relation to hips an valleys. As far as I can see the nu lok system, adopts a slightly different method of fixing, using a different lath medium, but basically uses the same skill set as a traditional roofer.

If there is any guarantee offered with the product, does that rely on the fitting of your roof materials by qualified roofing tradesmen.

Remember you are introducing a new concept in roof covering methods, it would seem a shame to spoil it by using inexperienced installers. After all you rely on good professionals to give you a good aesthetic out come to your roof. As you know a well slated roof , straight and true looks excellent, and does require a high level of skill to achieve, and if I was inclined to use new methods, I would like to use experienced workers to install.

Just my 2 cents worth.

kadman :)

Hi Kadman,

Very well covered :)

Slating has some forgiveness available to those who know how to use it.

The new systems appear simple to install when in fact they are not, yes they may keep water from entering the building but the perp lines are very easy to lose by just fitting one lath off line.

The best and nicest compliment that can be paid to any roof is people don't notice it, it should not be a focal point in itself but should blend with the finish of the house so it appears as a package.

WoW I think this makes it my €500-00 worth for today :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Guys,

These systems always look great to selfbuilders, but when you talk to experts you definetly get a clearer picture.

Pete,

What is the normal life expectancy of a trad slate roof done by a professional?

Did not think about the uneven surface of the natural slate being a possible problem!! But would probably go with the ceramic with this system, as you say no mould and are very weather resistant.

Kadmann,

You probably right about the skill level needed, again these systems look very tempting to self builders at first glance. I would have help from family who have done some roofing before though (not pros though)

Good advice lads Thanks

Hi Wobs,

I can sell a traditional slate roof with a life expectancy of ......200 Years.

The life of the roof build up really depends on the rafters and the building under them, I have natural slates in my stores that are in excess of 200 years old and ready to use again.

IMO The biggest mistake being made with natural slate today is people are buying slate of questionable origin at prices less than a fibre / cement slate.

The old rule certainly applies, "if it looks too good to be true it usually is".

Hey,

Got my quote back for this system. Its working out about 36 euro per sq mtr supply only and 60 supply and fit. I cant compare this as I have yet to get any other quotes back for my roof. But I thought it sounded reasonably. (If your happy with the system) still a few ?'s to be asked.

Hi Wobs,

I would like to see what you are getting for €24.00 per metre, the fitting price appears very low, but what do I know?

The material price is very good at €36.00 per metre for the ceramic finish, have they included for all detail work or is that to be quoted seperate ?

Learning every day ;)

Hi Pete,

Yeah I thought the fitting price sounded good. I guess thats due to the reduce labour/speed they talk about. With regards to detail, I have yet to see it yet. They posted it yesterday. The prices I have given are based on me dividing the totals they gave me over the phone by the size of my roof.

I can pm you the details in a day or 2 when I recieve them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement