Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supercans

Options
  • 23-03-2005 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember these???

They used to be about the size of a regular can of beer, but with soft drinks obviously.

I think the placcy bottle killed them off..

Anyone got any pictures??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

can't remember these... these were 50cl (half litre) of soft drink??
    Did all brands do them?
    soft drinks were always 33cl cans for me.... or sometimes in the cans now used by Red Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I remember them. Coca Cola definitely was one of them.

This was still back in the days of the ring pulls, wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Ahhh, supercans - you put a smile on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

ring pulls were cool...
    I remember when I was in England around 1990, there was a little shop that sold 'can stoppers' - basically a little rubber bung that fitted over the opening, and could keep your drink fizzy and wouldnt spill if turned upside down.
    cool little gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Aye i used to have on of those as well.

and it was always a treat to get the Super cans , always used to get them when going to the cinema when i was a nipper =)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

supercans, just the job if ye had a thirst on ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I found 2 in my room a few years back, empty lilt and coke ones. I remember they were 33p in dunnes, they seemed huge as a kid, was the same as a can of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

they used to be called radios for some reason around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    gonk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Supercans lasted for around 7 or 8 years
    I remember them coming in around 1984 or 1985.

We went on a school trip to Italy in 1986 and supercans of coke were very cheap in the local shop. Must have drank 8 or 9 per day for two weeks.
    Skin was in bits when I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

this might tickle your fancy

http://www.fancan.net/indexcoca.php

supercans were like 20 pence more than ordinary cans of coke. ordinary can was 50p supercan was 65 or 70 p. then the plastic bottles came in and both the supercan and the glass coca cola bottle dissappeared from the shop here in ireland.

you were still able to get glass bottles in europe for a while after that but dont think you can anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

this might tickle your fancy

http://www.fancan.net/indexcoca.php

great site billy
    some deadly cans there esp 1984 Olympics set

http://www.fancan.net/cans.php?p=MAR&s=000

i've seen these ones in shops in the past, at least now i know where the hell they came from, and why they tasted like cack

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/davide.andreani/Cokesize.htm

you can still get 500ml cans in some parts of europe, although the bottles are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

...you were still able to get glass bottles in europe for a while after that but dont think you can anymore.

can't you get them in bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

supercans were like 20 pence more than ordinary cans of coke. ordinary can was 50p supercan was 65 or 70 p.
    Pffft. Youngster. In my day regular cans were 30p or 35p, supercans were 45p or 50p if the shop felt like ripping you off. Cheaper in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Ah supercans...deadly. If I was feeling adventurous, I used to buy a supercan of "Glucoplus" in Ryans newsagent. 60p for a supercan, 45p for a regular can and 32p in Tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/davide.andreani/Cokesize.htm

you can still get 500ml cans in some parts of europe, although the bottles are better.
    I doubt that. Soft drinks from a can always taste far better than from the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

One of those €2 shops in dunlaoghaire had a few pepsi ones around november last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Club Orange Supercans were the best, ice cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

I was just thinking that!!!

Club Orange supercan and a bag of Manhatten popcorn and a cinema ticket was all ye needed to make a great day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I wish they still had them. Actually I wish stores had more cans. Seems most places only have coke and diet coke in cans, and the rest of their drinks in bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

the glass coca cola bottle dissappeared from the shop here in ireland.

Saw those in a shop here recently, think it was sainsbury's. They were very expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The ice cream van guy up at viewpoint was selling super can sized cans of coke about 18 months ago (last time I bought one). They had arabic (or sum such) writing on them so maybe they're still available in the middle east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Didn't they have 50% extra free ones out aswell for awhile? humm.. my memory is fading with my old age!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

They definately had supercans with 20 or 30% extra towards the end of their life in Irish stores. Just the thing when it was really ****ing hot. Stuff like Sunkist and Coca Cola were always best in a Can. They're so sugary they need to be really cold to offset it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eddiehitler

s8n wrote:
    Anyone remember these???

They used to be about the size of a regular can of beer, but with soft drinks obviously.

I think the placcy bottle killed them off..

Anyone got any pictures??

i cant answer your question, but does anybody remember a drink called Smack? it came in really thin cans , a bit like the red bull ones. is it still made anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

i cant answer your question, but does anybody remember a drink called Smack? it came in really thin cans , a bit like the red bull ones. is it still made anymore?

I think I remember Smack. Was it sort of aimed as the mid priced alternative to those awful 15p bottles (Shannon Orange, Red Lemonade?) and stuff like Coca Cola. Cost about 25p and came in slightly smaller than red bull cans. I can remember there was bubble gum flavour.. which wasn't bad, bit too sweet.

My only instance of getting caught shop lifting was a can of that bubble gum stuff. Couldn't show my face at my local sweetshop for 3 or 4 years after. I was like 5p short of the drink and really ****ing parched.

Advertisement