Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flat or n.h.?

Options
  • 23-03-2005 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

no contest afaic,
    its got to be the jumps,i just think its better sport.
    i do like the flat but i get a much better kick out of the jumpers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

There are two ways of looking at this. For pure drama and passion the jumps win hands down, you just can never see yourself getting as excited to see an Aiden O' Brien horse win the derby as you were when Moscow flyer or Kicking king powered up the hill at Cheltenham.

But from a betting point of view I much prefer the flat, I find the form more consistent and a lot easier to make sense of. It can be very hard to weigh up NH results when you haven't seen the race due to the effect the quality jumping makes on the end result and the fact that many horses are eased down towards the end of races, the actual winning distances usually don't tell the whole story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

Everything after Moscow Flyers win at cheltenham has bored me. I was so wound up for the QM Champion that I had to go to sleep early. Knackered by 9.30 because of it. In the doldrums since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Ive watched some of the US racing on the At The Races channell on NTL. Tis ok, Like dragster racing really.
    Theres no feeling of excitement and fear seeing your Horse take the lead
    at the second last and approach the Last fence(Lets not mention that mare HedgeHunter at the last Grand National). Jumps are like girls : great craic but they can break your Heart too. But ya wouldnt be without em. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tiedcottage

Come on, gotta be jumps seven days a week and twice on Sunday. There's no anticipation about the flat, you never see horses from different generations take each other on because racing is secondary in importance to selling to stud.

With jumps, there's the anticipation of seeing the champions take on the young pretenders, an excitement that begins the year of the previous Cheltenham and Aintree and builds to the next one.

Flat is, I agree, a better betting proposition, but in terms of excitement and sport, it's like comparing tiddlywinks to a grand slam rugby match. No contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

DaBreno wrote:
    Ive watched some of the US racing on the At The Races channell on NTL. Tis ok, Like dragster racing really.
    Theres no feeling of excitement and fear seeing your Horse take the lead
    at the second last and approach the Last fence(Lets not mention that mare HedgeHunter at the last Grand National). Jumps are like girls : great craic but they can break your Heart too. But ya wouldnt be without em. :D

That should have read "Theres no feeling of excitement and fear LIKE seeing your Horse take the lead".

Jumps are class!

• Advertisement
Advertisement