Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has rap gone to sh*t?

Options
  • 22-03-2005 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

50 cent, G Unit, Chingy, Loyd Banks, Ja Rule, Kanye West, Nelly.

It's gotten to the stage that when someone says "Rap is crap" I don't disagree. With all the commercial/pop rappers that have come out in the last few years I'm starting to agree.

Even the Doggfather himself is doing it with all the duets with **** Williams (great producer but please, nobody wants to hear you sing and you rap like Avril Lavigne).

Jay-Z and Linken Park. Ok, I'm not even going to start on this topic.

Nelly and Tim McGraw. Nelly is at the forefront of pushing the boundaries of rap. My hole. They sound like Liam Neeson chasing chickens in a barrell.

I can't see the situation getting better any time soon either. I guess I'm going to have to start listening to bands beginning with "The". Sad really. Rap and I had some really good times :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Theres no doubt its gone downhill, I just stick on old albums these days, nothing new impresses me all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

lol. Post goes downhill when you list off the sell-outs. *cough* I mean, erm, those who are making money.

If its not broken, don't fix it.

They're raking in the cash, so I doubt they're going to change.

Look for something "underground" per se.

It happens in all music. The main fathers get comercialized [spelling?], and everyone feels betrayed. But if you go out and buy a new "not totally big", but still big, you'll hit gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Im sure makaveli, cannibal_ox etc will have a few things to say about this. What mtv play is not the only rap out there. Your right, all that stuff you mentioned is for the most part rubbish. There is good stuff being made though, you just need to know where to find it. There was a few recommendation threads a while back. You could search for them and have a look. You could also go back and get older albums, when, in your opionion, rap was good(i tend to do this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

This topic has been disscussed to death already, do a search, basically anything on MTV is going to have you thinking that its crap, which is true but you said it yourself, they are all commercial rappers, not every rapper is commercial there are so many quality artists out there.

Klimseven and Makaveli posted a sh1t load of artists in another thread on this subject, heres a few off the top of my head to get you going and if you like rap i dont think you can tell me one of them is crap
    Brother Ali, Immortal Technique, Blackalicious, J5, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Mr.Lif, Lyrics Born, that should do for now come back to me when you have listened to any of them and i think you'll have a change in attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I couldn't be arsed anymore.

Can we get a sticky thread with a bunch of recommended rappers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I actually think Kanye West's album is brilliant. Probably the best commercial rap album I've heard in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Ay Cee wrote:
    I actually think Kanye West's album is brilliant. Probably the best commercial rap album I've heard in a long time.

I liked it too. He's quite annoying though.

Btw there should be a recommendation thread stickied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Well I don't watch much MTV or the like nor do I read any "hip hop" magazines so I just base it on his music.

I have heard he's supposed to be a right arrogant prick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Arrogant isn't even the word, he's so full of himself it's unreal, his ego is completely overblown.
    The College Dropout I did really enjoy, but I grew tired of it really quickly, doesn't have much longevity imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭thafitz

Linoge wrote:
    Nelly is at the forefront of pushing the boundaries of rap. My hole.

lol. now thats a quality line :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Drum boy

Makaveli wrote:
    Arrogant isn't even the word, he's so full of himself it's unreal, his ego is completely overblown.
    The College Dropout I did really enjoy, but I grew tired of it really quickly, doesn't have much longevity imo.

Yeah he is really arrogant! But i love that album!

I thought the Jay-Z linkin Park thing was good!
    There has always been stuff like that! Theres one with old queen songs and hip-hop songs, its class!
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 poshtiger05

man i dont think raps gone **** i dont care if its all commercial or not as long as it has a good beat and good lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Good lyrics? Ever hear 50 Cent's "Disco Inferno"? Merciful hour... Or worse J-Kwon's "Tipsy"?

Who goes to a club to get "tipsy" anyways? If he said "everyone in the club getting sh*tfaced and women puking in their handbags" it might make sense alright... Most rap nowadays is absolutely woeful ie Cassidy, he should be gut-shot and left to die.

Nas is the only decent commercial rapper out there at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

FTA69 wrote:

Who goes to a club to get "tipsy" anyways? If he said "everyone in the club getting sh*tfaced and women puking in their handbags" it might make sense alright...
    LMAO!

I thought Kanye's album was good enough for a while but you are right, its got no longevity. TBH, I just can't stand him because he's way too big headed. Unbelievably so for having just released one album, producing or no producing.

50 cents lyrics are pretty lame. Candy Shop? Why didn't he just remix Milkshake?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I really would love to know why there is so much hype surrounding 50 Cent to be honest, his flow is completely off the beats and half his rhymes are simply brought together by grunting at the end of every line. The beats on his albums are brilliant to be fair but considering he doesn't even make the things himself what has he to boast about? The Game'd probably be a lot better off without the likes of G-Unit really, you can even see him going down hill ie that 21 Questions soundalike on his album, the one with Nate Dogg like, Special... that's the one.

I'm listening to the Wu Tang Clan now and I'm lamenting how rap has simply combusted... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭thafitz

FTA69 wrote:
    I'm listening to the Wu Tang Clan now and I'm lamenting how rap has simply combusted... :(

wu tang clan aint nuthin to f**k with, wu tang clan aint nuthin to f**k with, wu tang clan aint nuthin to f**k with, wu tang clan aint nuthin to f**k with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

thafitz wrote:
    wu tang clan aint nuthin to f**k with, wu tang clan aint nuthin to f**k with, wu tang clan aint nuthin to f**k with, wu tang clan aint nuthin to f**k with.

Hoo Haa, Hoo Haa, Hoo Haa, Hoo Haa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

I actually like Kanye's album but i can see why some don't think rap is all that anymore.
    But people have been saying this for years. Dig deep and you shall find great music. Guys who have been around the way like Nas, Talib Kweli, Cee-Lo,
    The Roots, Common, De La Soul, Masta Ace, MF Doom and Edan have just recently enough released quality albums. Also check out these guys
    Sa-Ra
    Plant Life
    Critically Acclaimed
    Lifesavaz
    Little Brother
    TimeMachine
    Jneiro Jarel
    Insight
    Platinum Pied Pipers
    and so much more
    Even back in the early 90's there was wack stuff coming out it's just a matter of looking for the good **** cause its there for you find.

Advertisement